Linguaholic

Different French Accents

• 1 month later...

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I'm Canadian, so I've grown up learning Quebecois French and I've also listened to Ontario French and some Acadian French (Eastern Canada). The Quebec accent kind of has a twang to it, they make their words seem a bit longer.

There's definitely a huge difference between French spoken in Canada, and French spoken in France. Due to my experience only really listening to Canadian French, sometimes I find French from France to be difficult to understand at first! I'm used to the vocabulary and the accent of Canadian French.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

How diffirent is African French? If you know standard French can you understand it?

In my experience, African French is rather easy to understand. Some people roll their r's, but I think that might be a regional thing. French is spoken widely in Africa so I think that it might be different depending which country specifically the speaker is from.

Then again, I'm a learner of Quebecois French so my view of what constitutes a "difficult" may be a bit skewed. The Quebecois accent is really difficult sometimes, especially when the accent is very strong. It doesn't even sound like French sometimes!

In my experience, African French is rather easy to understand. Some people roll their r's, but I think that might be a regional thing. French is spoken widely in Africa so I think that it might be different depending which country specifically the speaker is from.

Then again, I'm a learner of Quebecois French so my view of what constitutes a "difficult" may be a bit skewed. The Quebecois accent is really difficult sometimes, especially when the accent is very strong. It doesn't even sound like French sometimes!

The Québécois accent can be very difficult to understand, depending on whether the speaker is from an urban area or a rural one, or an educated versus an uneducated background. I really like some of their old vocabulary like "char" for car and even "magasiner" for shopping! For English speakers it a bit like going to a strange English-speaking country where people still say "Wherefore art thou?" instead of "Where are you?", just like during Shakespeare's time!

Oh I have noted quite a bit of difference between French accents. Parisian French is definitely different that from someone from the Mediterranean area. African French is different but still understandable for me, unlike the French that those from Quebec have which I have difficulty understanding. But I guess it would really depend on which accent you're used to.