Linguaholic

Finding people to talk to

caparica007

When I was learning German I was talking on the phone with a German friend, but I also visited Goethe Institut in Lisbon and left a note there with my contacts and also brought a few contact to practice, it proved really neat.

How do you practice the language you're learning?

I practice the language I'm learning by using Google Translate and using language translation dictionaries. I also listen to foreign songs, and I research what it means. I noticed that the meanings stick to my head easier when I'm listening to foreign songs.

I practiced english by writing e-mails to people I found online, you could say they were my pen pals :)  But instead of writing letters, we just wrote mails.  That helped me to practice english and even learn it, since when I started I was making a lot mistakes.  That's how I learnt english; by making mistakes and learning from them :)

Things are different with the language I'm currently trying to learn: Dutch.  I think I'll just learn the basics (still working on that!), then I'll practice it by listening to Dutch native speakers, reading more self-teaching books, reading books in dutch (fairy tales and simple stuff), etc.  I can always ask my boyfriend for help :)  Ah... it's crazy the things we do for love!  I never thought I'd end up learning Dutch, lol.

I remember when I first learned English, the only way i could practice English was talking with my classmates. I often find books that were in English language to read, which helped me to improve my vocabulary words and understand the grammars more effectively that way. I didn't try to talk to other people just practice English because I didn't usually start a conversation unless I knew what I was going to ask or say.

I practice by myself, using various methods ranging from specific programs to phone applications, but when it comes to communicating with others, finding a pen pal on the internet isn't too difficult. With a simple skype call you can talk to anyone from any corner of the world. That's if you happen to be unfortunate and live in an area where there's no native speakers of the language you are learning, if you do, it's a no-brainer, really.

• 1 month later...

Practicing language makes one more effective in communication. Presently , I practice language by reading and trying to translate books using a dictionary :cool:. My greatest accomplishment comes from communicating with my daughter who is more advanced than I am :angel:.

I find that when it comes to practicing the languages I'm learning to go back and utilize Rosetta Stone comes in handy for sure! To hear how another person pronounces things it helps me to pronounce correctly. I think the other way I've talked to others is through online forums where I always let them know from the beginning the level that I am able to speak that language.

As I live in a small backwoods town where it's almost impossible to meet anyone who isn't a native-born hill-billy, I practice speaking the languages I'm learning from videos I pick up in odd places. Of course it may present a real  problem when conversing with a real person but at least, it does help a little.

Finding people to talk and listen to is a really good thing to practice the language you are trying to learn. They can also give you tips on the intonation, phonetics and the like. Native speakers are usually the best people you could learn the language from.

I just take any opportunity I can to use it. For example, I'm learning Japanese and there are a handful of Japanese people in my city so I just try and use it whenever I'm around them and they are always eager to teach me more or correct me when I'm wrong. I've talked to a lot of restaurant and store owners by doing this and what I love about it is that I get to befriend them at the same time.