Linguaholic

What does Literature mean to you?

I am a huge fan of English Literature, which makes me enjoy reading classic books. There is a difference between Literature and Fiction, which I sometimes think they are interrelated but they're not. To me, Literature means it is beyond my normal novels, a piece of work that means more than the story itself. It includes style, tone, characters, and more. Literature is more complex than fiction, which I strongly think Literature is what we don't get much into these days. What does Literature mean to you?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Literature, like art, is created with the specific purpose of trying to teach something. While it may appear like just an ordinary story, if you scrape below the surface, you'll find lessons that could be helpful to you or future generations.

I particularly like metaphorical literature, like George Orwell's "Animal Farm."

Contemporary fiction on the other hand, is written simply to entertain the reader.

I am a huge fan of English Literature, which makes me enjoy reading classic books. There is a difference between Literature and Fiction, which I sometimes think they are interrelated but they're not. To me, Literature means it is beyond my normal novels, a piece of work that means more than the story itself. It includes style, tone, characters, and more. Literature is more complex than fiction, which I strongly think Literature is what we don't get much into these days. What does Literature mean to you?

I believe I am in agreement with most of your statements. Indeed, we have a lot of writings, novels, articles and so forth being published everyday, but some of them aren't really literature pieces. A literature piece represents a work of art, a masterpiece. If many of our writers would strive to incorporate literatures in their writings instead of going for quick "postings" for quick "cash", then they could in effect, be making legends of themselves (who outlive their normal physical lives on earth in the hearts of present and future readers).

To me, Literature means it is beyond my normal novels, a piece of work that means more than the story itself. It includes style, tone, characters, and more. Literature is more complex than fiction, which I strongly think Literature is what we don't get much into these days. What does Literature mean to you?

I agree.  There are different genres of fiction as well.  Mass market and general fiction, also known as commercial fiction are quite different.  The prose, plot, character development is not on the same level as literary fiction. 

There is a much smaller readership for literary fiction, in contrast.  While the writing is richer and deeper and has more to offer -- it's elevating, challenging, etc. -- it may also be less entertaining and have less surface appeal.  But that is not the ultimate purpose of course. 

I am glad to see that despite the fact literary fiction is comparatively less lucrative and not as conducive to widespread fame as mass market fiction, there are still authors who are dedicated to developing and honing their unique voice and vision. 

By the way there is a similar discussion on this very topic here:

http://linguaholic.com/english-literature/define-litreature/

You may find it interesting as there were quite a few in-depth responses. 

I love Literature :love:. To me literature is a written work of art, done in such a style that only after careful analysis do you realize the real meaning of the story :cool:. At the end you have learnt something and feel gratified :smile:.

• 7 years later...
On 8/20/2021 at 9:22 AM, Casel said:

Although the topic is a bit outdated, I want to ask you what are your favorite books that you would recommend everyone to read? I also love to read, but I meticulously choose authors and books to read.

I'm glad you asked that. I really like works of Hemingway and Remark, but recently I started reading John Steinbeck. I liked his short story "Of Mice and Men" so much that I wrote a few essays, which you can check over here and learn more about this short story. I have been working as a professional writer on this resource, helping students write essays on various topics for several years. I recommend reading my essays and writing a review if you like it.