Linguaholic

How Do You Work On Your Vocabulary?

I find that I am not so much of an auditory learner, and so my strength really lies in seeing and visualizing things. For this reason, I find that in order for me to effectively memorize and remember things in building up my vocabulary, I have to apply extensive reading. I find it even more effective than watching a TV. I only catch the accent through watching the TV. How do you improve your vocabulary?

If I read or hear a word I am not familiar with I always stop, look it up and see the derivation of the word (whether from Latin, French or other) and then try and use it in a sentence.  If I am not sure of the word or meaning, I look it up anyway.  I continue to learn this way and expand my vocabulary and often learn something else interesting along the way (like the history of the word or usage).

• 2 weeks later...

I use the english language on a daily basis, but strangely enough it seems I'm stuck with the same words everyday.  For some reason I just can't expand my vocabulary the way I'd like!  I guess using english on a daily basis is just not enough for me! 

I'd like to create a list of words and also look up words I don't understand and write them down. Then try to use them as much as possible on a daily basis.  I'm afraid this alone won't do tho... since expanding your vocabulary and keeping it that way requires a lifelong commitment and effort.

Whenever I encounter a "new" English word, I will look up its meaning on the dictionary and will think of 2 or 3 sentences where I can use said word.  That's what I do to expand my vocabulary and so far it's working for me as I was able to recall and re-use the words in some conversations.  :grin:

I use the english language on a daily basis, but strangely enough it seems I'm stuck with the same words everyday.  For some reason I just can't expand my vocabulary the way I'd like!  I guess using english on a daily basis is just not enough for me! 

I'd like to create a list of words and also look up words I don't understand and write them down. Then try to use them as much as possible on a daily basis.  I'm afraid this alone won't do tho... since expanding your vocabulary and keeping it that way requires a lifelong commitment and effort.

This is exactly what I'm experiencing as well. I use English on a daily basis too, but it doesn't increase my vocabulary that much. There are times when I'm reading an article and I come across a word that I'm unfamiliar with, but that doesn't happen very often. I guess I should read more articles that are difficult for me to understand.

I try to read as often as I can. I switch from reading books in Polish to English and I translate every single word I don't understand. My work is pretty mundane and I would never learn new words if I didn't learn on my own, using the same words all the time... I also try to make friends with intelligent people and discuss various matters to make myself sound better and learn new words.

I read a lot. I think conscious reading improves your vocabulary.

I also keep a dictionary and thesaurus handy and refer to them whenever I come across new words.

Also, I keep an alert ear while talking and look to pick up new terms, idioms and phrases while others talk.

Its really an exciting journey, when you're constantly on the look-out to improve your vocabulary. You find every book, every read, every chat and every meeting an opportunity to enhance your linguistic skills.

The best way to work on my vocabulary is to read. There is no better way.

It is not even important if I understand every word. I usually read something I'm REALLY interested in, so my mind will be eager to understand and remember all the new words.

If I read a book or an article, and a word comes up several times, I am really curious what the word means so I look in the dictionary. As soon as I have found the meaning, I will remember that word forever.

Just reading, anything, without worrying if I understood everything. You can better understand a new word from a context. If I just memorize words, I forget them five minutes later.

A context helps me understand the word better.

I work on my vocabulary by writing down new words. In my spear time I usually familiarize myself with the meaning and I try to use them when I converse orally or written :cool:.