Linguaholic

Have you taught English in a foreign country?

@Voytek

I have a degree, but it's not even a bachelor's one.
From my experience here in the Netherlands, I can say that degrees won't help you to find a job, it just fulfils 1 of the many requirements a job may have (ICT-related jobs often don't require a degree, teaching jobs almost always do).

Another requirement you may often see is work experience, that's where an infinite loophole begins:
You have a degree? Then you don't have any work experience yet.
You don't have any work experience yet? Then you most likely have no degree.

Presently, I randomly teach English to one-on-one students in Japan as a supplement to my travel writing and dancing. It's pretty awesome. I mean, the conversations you have with your clients is pretty fun. Sometimes they end up speaking to a degree they didn't know they were capable of and turn red. It's cute. 

Schools here for English are either very professional or very unstructured. You can go either route, depending on your teaching style and educational level. For example, I've had friends work for the big companies like Gaba (don't go Gaba, they don't care), Berlitz (only positive ratings), Nova and Aeon. On the flip side, several friends have taught English at nurseries, cultural centers and even in cafes. Some places have a curriculum. Others want the teacher to provide unique lesson plans. Another example is the route my friend Chris went--he taught English via theatre and drama.

Another friend of mine got a teaching certificate and is living in Belize with his wife, where he teaches English. Someone else does English tutoring online via Skype and Google Hangouts. I've never heard any one of my friends and acquaintances say that teaching English is not rewarding. No matter how you teach, it's a fun and rewarding gig. 

Teaching English via theater and drama is a pretty neat idea. This is the first time I've heard of this approach. I guess this will make your friend Chris unique amongst the many teachers of English in Japan.

If I were to teach English in a foreign country, my primarily motivation might not be in teaching at all but at the chance to travel to a different country and just be immersed in their culture. I know of a friend who's enjoying her life as an English teacher in Japan. I just don't have an idea if she's affiliated with a big school or if she's just striking on her own.

Anyway, is it true that it's difficult to get a teaching position if you're not from countries such as the U.S. or the UK, or any country with English as its first language?

• 2 weeks later...

No, I have no experience teaching English in a foreign country, but if ever i was qualified to do so, then why not right? I heard that the pay is good if you tutor English in Asian countries like South Korea.

• 5 years later...