Linguaholic

How do you say Merry Christmas in your second language?

True2marie

In my second language? Merry Christmas  :tongue: because my second language is English.

Feliz Natal! That's how you say it in Portuguese  :grin:

Well, I have learnt something today...thanks to you.  :wink:

I realize that Portuguese and Spanish are different in some ways. I always thought they were almost identical. The "Feliz" in Merry Christmas seems to be the same for both languages. However, the "Christmas" is different for both. Thanks

My second language is English, so I guess the right answer is ''Merry Christmas''.  My third language might be Dutch,but I have no idea how to say merry christmas in Dutch yet :P  I should have asked my boyfriend today, lol.  I just googled the answer tho, but I came across a lot potential answers, not sure which one is the right one. But I do know how to say merry christmas in Norwegian: God Jul!

Well, I have learnt something today...thanks to you.  :wink:

I realize that Portuguese and Spanish are different in some ways. I always thought they were almost identical. The "Feliz" in Merry Christmas seems to be the same for both languages. However, the "Christmas" is different for both. Thanks

They have many differences, some people think that it is like UK English and American English but that's not the case, both languages are unique. We can understand each other though so there are some similarities.  :grin:

In Filipino (or Tagalog) we say it as "Maligayang Pasko".  "Maligaya" meaning Merry and "Pasko" meaning Christmas. 

But just like Daimashin, people in my country just greet each other Merry Christmas, we rarely say Maligayang Pasko nowadays (even our grandparents).  :grin:

• 1 year later...

In Polish there are several ways to say it but the one I hear and see most often is "Wesołych Świąt!"

In Russian I would say "С Рождеством" or "Счастливого Рождества!".

In French it's "Joyeux Noël".

For Dutch I'd go with "Vrolijke kerstdagen" or "Prettige kerstdagen"

And "Buon Natale" in Italian.

My second language is English, so.. Merry Christmas. Well, that was kind lame so I'll give you the translation for 'Merry Christmas' in my first/native language instead, which is Indonesian: 'Selamat natal'. Don't try to break it down though, because it gets a bit weird when you do that. The word 'Selamat' means 'congratulations' or 'happy' (as in 'Happy birthday!') and 'natal' means 'Christmas' in English. So it's like 'Happy Christmas', which is really weird.