Linguaholic

Do you have a language coach?

True2marie

Do you have a language coach?  :smile:

Online sites such as Rosetta Stone offer these types of services. A language coach encourages helps you master a foreign language through one-on-one or classroom environments. I had one in the past who helped me tremendously in learning Spanish.

I wish I have one because I believe that I can learn faster if I have a language coach.  Someone that I can talk to in person in a language that I wanted to learn and teach me how to pronounce the words (or phrases) in the right tone or accent. 

I haven't heard of the Rosetta Stone website before but It seems interesting.  I'll "google" it later, thanks for sharing.  :smile:

• 4 weeks later...

I have never tried Rosetta Stone but I do have a coach. My coach happens to be my daughter :angel:. She is more fluent than I am in Spanish so whenever I am having difficulties she is usually the one that I turn to.

No, but I'd consider getting one to help me with Dutch in the future, since learning Dutch is really important for me. I'm willing to invest on something like that in the future, and surely I will if I have way too many troubles learning the language :)

I have never tried Rosetta Stone but I do have a coach. My coach happens to be my daughter :angel:. She is more fluent than I am in Spanish so whenever I am having difficulties she is usually the one that I turn to.

Ahah, your daughter as a language coach, couldn't get much better than that!

I am not totally getting the difference between a language coach and a private teacher, is there any?

I have a teacher that I see with a friend a couple of times a week. It's super helpful when learning Mandarin since they can correct pronunciation errors before they become a habit and I don't think I'd be learning this fast without one.

I have a teacher that I see with a friend a couple of times a week. It's super helpful when learning Mandarin since they can correct pronunciation errors before they become a habit and I don't think I'd be learning this fast without one.

OK so language coaching is the same thing as teaching right? Or is it more like tutoring?

I must agree that getting a language coach can be very helpful in getting you grasp all the facets of the language: speaking, writing, etc., but supposing you're only learning language for the fun of it? Would that justify the cost [unless it's free that is]?

Not at the moment, but I'd definitely consider getting one if and when I do start getting a little bit more serious with my learning. For now, however, I prefer to take a bit more of a casual pace instead since I already have a bit too much pressure from other aspects of my life as it is, but when I do get some more time and luxury to learn I imagine it would be the next best thing to going to the country itself.

I do not have a formal language coach but I do have friends who speak the local language who are always willing to practise with me.  I think it's really important if you have a chance to actually speak the language.  That's the best way you can ever learn.