Linguaholic

Do you speak a mix of your native language and foreign language?

True2marie

:nerd: While residing in Puerto Rico, I began to speak Spanglish - a mix of Spanish and English. Most of my peers did two. Although not unique, it was a fun way to converse with each other and also use words or phrases with more impact in one language than another.

Do you speak a mix of your native language and foreign language?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

As much as possible, I avoid speaking using a mixture of native and foreign language in a professional setting because it is very informal. When I use a foreign language, I use it straight up. And when I use the native language, I use it straight up too. Since I'm a lecturer, I primarily use English. I try not to use or mix any other languages or dialects when I'm speaking because others might not understand.  :angel:

Oh yeah, I do.

English is my base language; my native tongue and communications template.

However, I lived in many different countries. I would often mix English with their native languages to establish better communications.

In China, I spoke Chinglish.

In Sri Lanka, Sringlish.

In Denmark, Denglish.

Back then when I was able to communicate in Spanish, I did enjoy my moments of Spanglish :) But I've forgotten the language now. Ay caramba! Olvido!

Now that I am in Japan, I would speak Jingrish.

And Japanese itself has many English loan words that's incorporated to daily use - both casual and formal.

Regards,

The Antiquarian.

Yes, we do speak a mixture of our native language and our second language English a lot in our country and we call it Taglish. "Tagalog" and "English". :)

Hello "Kabayan" (meaning: fellow countryman)  :grin:  Same here, we speak a lot of "taglish" at home too and even at the office.  We spoke it a lot and speaking this way has become a normal thing for most of us Filipinos, especially those living in the urban places.

I don't do that at all, but my language has a lot words that are used in english as well.  I know some people who speak spanglish, but I'm not a big fan of this hybrid.  Since I'm not a big fan of 'unofficial'' languages (they are often misspelled by the speakers).

My ancestors spoke a very interesting dialect named ''ladino''.  It's a mix of spanish and hebrew, with words from other languages thrown in. This language is dying slowly, but there are some people in Israel who still speak it.  I'd love to learn it, but I don't have the time for that, plus I don't think I'll ever use it after that :(

Yes, I do, especially when I speak Chinese with people. I would throw in some English because I have forgotten some of the Chinese words. I got used to speaking English all the time, which puts me into a position that I sometimes translate for my parents. It is funny that I speak a mixed of my native and foreign languages at the same time. This is what happens when I have learned the two languages when I was young.

• 4 weeks later...

My native language is English and I do speak a mix of it and Spanish all the time. I really do this unofficially though, just to have fun with my daughter. She is more fluent in Spanish than I am and so if I forget a word while speaking with her instead of asking her I just mix both languages and we get to laugh about :grin:.

Yes. We Filipinos love to do that. Have you ever heard of Taglish? It's a mixture of Tagalog and English. Most Filipinos, especially the uneducated ones, use a mixture of our language and English which sometimes can be pretty annoying and hard on the ears. There are a few instances when Taglish is actually good to hear and can really make matters more understandable especially since some English terms cannot really be translated in Tagalog.

Yes definitely, it's almost natural for me to just start speaking Tinglish now to the locals when I'm out and about. I try to communicate in Thai so they understand but some things I just don't know the word for so I substitute it for an English word and hope for the best.

I don't mix languages intentionally. I find it hinders my learning and I want to be able to speak Spanish properly. I have no idea if I mix languages unintentionally though. I know my mom, dad and friend do so, it's possible I do too. Usually I will hear them say the prepositions in English. It's usually pretty funny because, they'll say something like, "Yo cocino with mi hijo"

In high school my best friend was a Japanese dude whose English was at about the same level as my Japanese (at that time, not very good). We pretty much always communicated through a Japanese-English pidgin that nobody who didn't speak both languages could understand.

Somehow, I actually improved my Japanese my doing that.

Other than the Chinese English I mentioned, we also speak out version of English here called Manglish. It's a fusion of Malay and English. We also have Singlish spoken by Singh people. Living in a multiracial country has these cultures.

I think I might speak sometimes a mix of Spanish and Portuguese because both are so similar that sometimes I don't know what is Spanish and what's not lol. That would be Spanuguese probably!  :grin:

I think Spanish understand us fairly well if we put their accent regardless of the words we use or simply maybe I speak better Spanish than I think.  :cool:

I do speak a mix of English, Chinese and Malay, also known as Singlish. It has definitely become a part of our culture here.

While I use Singlish when I'm with friends, I always make sure to speak standard English in professional settings.

Yeah I think Spanglish is quite common -- especially among the hispanic Americans at my job. But at the same time, that makes it easier on someone who is learning either language. It helps you to keep up with what they are talking about. Perhaps a good learning tool?

Yes, I do this sometimes, although my tongue gets tied each time I do so.  It's really hard to transition from a local word to a foreign word.  I prefer speaking straight English and then straight local language instead of mixing both.  I also feel it is not very professional and formal to do so. 

Yes I do speak in Taglish at times when the word is much easy to say and use in English as compared to using the Tagalog word for it. But I make sure to not overdo it, because constant Taglish speaking makes a person look awkward.

Yes, in fact I find that when I learn a foreign language I sometimes feel as though I might be able to express myself better by using two languages. This is because a person's vocabulary expands when he or she starts learning a new language.

Yes. We Filipinos love to do that. Have you ever heard of Taglish? It's a mixture of Tagalog and English. Most Filipinos, especially the uneducated ones, use a mixture of our language and English which sometimes can be pretty annoying and hard on the ears. There are a few instances when Taglish is actually good to hear and can really make matters more understandable especially since some English terms cannot really be translated in Tagalog.

If you take time to listen to Filipino conversations, you'll find most of them are Taglish. It's hard to find conversations in pure Filipino because like fredkawig said, there are a lot of English terms that cannot be translated. There are even ATM machines that have a Taglish option!  :tongueout:

In the small town I live in, it's populated by people who speak three different languages. I don't know how it worked but most people [in the town] speak all three languages [maybe they pick them up in the playground in school] so it's quite natural to speak a mix of any of the three languages [don't ask which ones] but it doesn't feel like any of them is a foreign language. . .

In the small town I live in, it's populated by people who speak three different languages. I don't know how it worked but most people [in the town] speak all three languages [maybe they pick them up in the playground in school] so it's quite natural to speak a mix of any of the three languages [don't ask which ones] but it doesn't feel like any of them is a foreign language. . .

Sounds very similar to my country as well, we speak and mix three different languages here when we talk to each other. We also have borrowed words from each other due to living in the same country for so long. Sometimes there are words that are not available in my native language, we use borrowed words instead.