Linguaholic

What are your thoughts on Spanglish?

Trellum

I think most people have heard the term ''spanglish'' at least once in its life. If you haven't... well, let me tell you that spanglish is a mix  between english and spanish.  A lot people speak it in the US, but I've heard is also spoken in other places.

I must admit I'm not very fond of it to be honest... I'd never use it!  For me it would be easier to stick either to english or spanish, but it can come in handy when you forget how to say something in english or spanish.  I guess that would be the only adventage of using that language.  Other than that... nah!  I don't hate it tho, but it gets on my nerves when people uses it everyday (my cousins do).

What are your thoughts on Spanglish?

• 2 weeks later...

I think Spanglish is pretty cool too like what we use in our country, Taglish also a combination of our native tongue and English. By the way, a lot of our native words are from Spanish or what we call borrowed words for the mere fact that the Spaniards made the Philippines as one of its colonies for many years. :)

I think I have to side with Trellum on this one.  It seems any of these mixes would dilute the base languages.  How does it work to be used consistently?  I would think that the combinations would lead to a looser style and maybe form variations outside of those intended.  Maybe I am a purist, but I agree it doesn't appeal to me.

As a person who grew up an hour from the border in California, I think Spanglish is a language. It's a pigeon language that makes it possible for teenagers to communicate at school as well as with their parents and extended family.

Many people that speak Spanglish know Spanish as a spoken language and not as a written one, because they learn it at home, but don't study it in school. When I was in elementary school, we were separated into an English speaking and a Spanish speaking class, and we didn't interact much until about 4th grade, once most of the 'Spanish' kids were fairly English fluent.

Obviously, English speaking students didn't have to worry about becoming Spanish fluent. I found out later that learning English was made priority number one for those kids, and English learning came before things like science, math or history.

For kids like this, speaking English (in the US at least) is basically non-negotiable. But Spanish is an avenue of keeping in touch with one's roots. So combining the two is a way of walking a very complicated cultural divide.

This is something that I encounter rather frequently in the area that I live in and I am not a fan at all. The reason that I do not like it is that my brain just doesn't work in such a way that I can process two languages at the same time.

As a person who grew up an hour from the border in California, I think Spanglish is a language. It's a pigeon language that makes it possible for teenagers to communicate at school as well as with their parents and extended family.

Many people that speak Spanglish know Spanish as a spoken language and not as a written one, because they learn it at home, but don't study it in school. When I was in elementary school, we were separated into an English speaking and a Spanish speaking class, and we didn't interact much until about 4th grade, once most of the 'Spanish' kids were fairly English fluent.

Obviously, English speaking students didn't have to worry about becoming Spanish fluent. I found out later that learning English was made priority number one for those kids, and English learning came before things like science, math or history.

For kids like this, speaking English (in the US at least) is basically non-negotiable. But Spanish is an avenue of keeping in touch with one's roots. So combining the two is a way of walking a very complicated cultural divide.

Wow, Audsauce, thanks a lot for sharing your story with us!  Thanks for taking the time to write your very personal view of this language, and the complex and deep implications speaking this language implies.  I hadn't think of it the way you explained it. I thought of it more like a fad, but right now I feel humbled to find out what you guys (the spanglish speakers) think about using both spanish and english.

It's so nice you are still trying to honour and never forget your roots, that's really noble and I appreciate it so much!  This has definitely changed my view of this language.

I think I have to side with Trellum on this one.  It seems any of these mixes would dilute the base languages.  How does it work to be used consistently?  I would think that the combinations would lead to a looser style and maybe form variations outside of those intended.  Maybe I am a purist, but I agree it doesn't appeal to me.

Well, thank you for taking the time to analyze my view :)  I must say I appreciate the fact those folks haven't forgotten their roots, in theory is really nice, but in the US people are using spanglish way too much... even at home.  Which, as you said, might lead to form some variations and changes to the original languages.  Some people say spanish in the US could be replaced by Spanglish in the future.  I hope not, I like the fact english and spanish can be used as two separate languages :)

I'm in favor regarding Spanglish, because over here, Taglish is very much prevalent, and it's not really unpleasant to hear the mixture of 2 languages. And if the person isn't fluent in 1 language, then Spanglish or Taglish would be perfect for him to be able to communicate effectively.

I'm in favor regarding Spanglish, because over here, Taglish is very much prevalent, and it's not really unpleasant to hear the mixture of 2 languages. And if the person isn't fluent in 1 language, then Spanglish or Taglish would be perfect for him to be able to communicate effectively.