Linguaholic

Is your partner the reason you speak a second language?

True2marie

Love was the inspiration for some people to learn a second language. They either married into another culture or date someone outside of their race which convinces them to learn another tongue. With this said, is your partner the reason you speak a second language?

Young%20Oriental%20and%20black%20couple.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Most definitely!!!

Mrs Champollion was the reason I learnt Spanish and Catalan.

Having a partner who speaks another language is IMHO the most powerful factor in you learning that language.

Firstly, you're motivated. Ok, you could be motivated by another reason like having a better job offer if you learn a language, but the motivation of love is very, very strong.

Secondly, you have someone to show you the way to learn it 24 hours a day. Of course you learn the naughty words quickly in the first few days! Then by speaking to and being corrected by the person you love you end up speaking that language quickly and fluently.

Yes, absolutely.

Our languages are close, yet there are enough differences that you have to learn the other language.

I moved out where he is, and so now, we are both learning each other's language (while mainly speaking english), but since we live in his country, I am the one having to learn it faster, of course.

Which isn't a problem for me:). I am happy that we do have a chance to be together.

Absolutely yes, my partner is the reason why I want to learn and speak another language. My native language is Tagalog, my second language is English then my third language that I am now studying is Hangeul my husband native language. So far, I am gaining confidence already in my stay here in their country because I learned already some of their basic words and phrases that is used in their everyday life with the support also of my husband who is my private tutor with regards to pronunciation and it is a big help plus watching korean drama on television is also a good reference of learning the language.

Yes, I'm learning Dutch because my partner is Dutch and he wants me to move in with him anytime soon. We want to start a life together, and is actually a requisite for me to learn it.  I'm not a big fan of the dutch language, and I never EVER thought I'd even try to learn it, but I'm doing it for love right now. Is there a better motivation than love?

As for english, nah, I learnt english on my own for no real reason.  I mean, it was more like a game for me than anything else.  It was so bizarre and weird.  I think it was destiny.

Yes.

I've been in a long term relationship with an English woman for 5 years, and then embarked on a whirlwind romance with an Italian woman for another 3 years.

All I can say is I can speak fairly good English and Italian right now. There is no better motivation than learning a language because the person you love speaks it.

I think love is a huge motivation when it comes to learning a language. My partner is the reason I had to learn a third language, lol. As if two languages isn't had enough. I just had to get a partner from another country, lol. But it's surprising how quick you learn a language when love is the motivation.

Definitely not. It was not my partner that prompted me to learn another language but the necessity to develop my skills in our second language which is English. Though it proved also to be quite useful being adept with the language since most of my exes and my current bf are native English speakers.  :wink:

I studied one semester of Russian because my boyfriend at the time was Russian and I wanted to be able to speak with his grandparents, or at least have a clue what was being said.

I ended up changing schools so I never finished and eventually we broke up.

My current boyfriend and future husband speaks English like me so I'm ok there. I just can't speak the language of the country I live in, Mexico. Trying hard, though.

It was not my case actually, but I do have a couple of Czech friends that live in Germany that manage to speak Czech, German and Russian and they can practice it daily by switching the language. Sometimes I try to speak a little English with my wife and kids, but nothing too much.

It absolutely is. The fact that I can't fully participate in her culture and experience her heritage without learning another language is a great motivator. If a bit of studying will allow me to grow closer to her, then why wouldn't I work at it?