Linguaholic

Do you use simple or complex vocabulary words when you speak?

pandandesign

I tend to use simple words because I want people to understand me rather than I have to explain the terms. I sometimes use complex words, but only when I want to talk to professionals about some work-related stuff. I try not to use as many complex vocabulary words because I like simple and easy. What about you? Do you prefer using simple or complex vocabulary words when you speak?

Well, just like you, I often use simple words. However, it really depends on the person/people I'm talking to and the information I'm trying to convey unto others. Whenever I'm talking to professional I try to use vocabularies that are more than simple to show that I know my onions.

Also, I use complex vocabulary sometimes when I'm trying to pass an information across and it's easier to say it faster with complex vocabulary. Although, it's not uncommon for  people to tell me to break what I said down that they didn't get what I said.  :grin:

However, whenever I'm having a normal conversation, I keep it simple.

I speak a lot more casually than how I write, so I tend to use simpler words. I think it's because I have a little more fun when writing knowing that I can explain much more in detail, and also considering that I have to since in writing there aren't any intonations that I can utilize to help explain my idea so it pays to be thorough.

I always use simple words. I don't see a need to use complex words if simple words works just as well. Of course, there are people who I can't talk casually to... but even to those people, I try to use simple speech.

I keep it simple. I don't see if there's any point in using hard words which would only make you look as a cheap show-off to those listening. Anyway, what's the point of communication? Isn't it to get a message across? And how do you make sure you've got that message across? It's by using words everyone understands.

I keep my life simple .... and so is my communication.

I think, greatest ideas  should be expressed in simplest of words.

Indeed, to be simple is to be great.

In fact, I don't use two words where one is enough. I keep my language simple, sweet and straight forward.

As they say, one should use common words to say uncommon things.

• 2 weeks later...

Here I harness the power of a metaphor for the sake of hilarity, clarity and jocularity. Words are like currency. If you use big money often, i.e., big words often, you run the risk of overwhelming your audience. Your ostentation gives you the look of a nouveau-riche. Translate that back into words as a lack of erudition...

Depending on my audience, I would speak simple words when talking to farmers, illiterate and those who are classified as slow-learners. I would rather use big words, highfalutin words for educated individuals like lawyers, doctors, those with MBA's PhD's and the like. Speaking to people is always relative and depending on the capability of an individual to understand. You don't want to overemphasize that you are an intelligent person when you are speaking to uneducated people for they will throw stones at you for doing so. Choose your words, speak when necessary.

I try to keep it simple, when I speak I'm trying to convey a message so the most effective way of getting my point across clearly as well as possible would be to keep it simple. Though there are times where complicated words or terminology is required to properly explain or elaborate and in those situations I try to make sure that whomever I am talking to still understand.

I find a good mix of simple and complex words is best. I don't like to use all short, simple words for fear of sounding slow or unintelligent. Then again, too many complex words can come off sounding pompous or like you're trying too hard. Therefore, an even mix sounds intelligent but accessible. And with an even mix, even if someone doesn't understand one of the words you use, if it's the only complex word in the sentence, they can probably figure out what you're saying from the other words, saving you the time of having to explain yourself. So overall, don't avoid using big words just to stay simple, you will sound much more intelligent and professional, even when not specifically trying to.

I do prefer to use simple vocabulary when I speak. It is best, so that I don't have to be clarifying all the time. Complex, I only use when I am in a more formal setting.

It depends on the context, the subject matter, the circumstances and -- most important of all, I think -- the person or people I'm communicating with. 

I do think the language must be appropriate.  If it is a professional setting where there's a standard language or jargon, that's the way to best communicate and that's what I do. 

In social settings, my vocabulary would be relaxed and informal -- though still grammatically correct and not overly reliant on slang. 

I do have a pet peeve about pretentiousness and the use of big words to try to impress.  That comes across as arrogant at times or insecure, depending on the person. 

I usually use simple words, but it really depends on what I'm writing. For example, if I'm writing an essay I tend to gravitate towards bigger words; however, if I'm talking to friends, I'll keep it simple (mostly because I don't want to confuse them).

:tongue:

Well, it depends upon whom I am speaking to. If I am speaking to a child or a person who is new to speaking English, I will use only simple words. If, on the other hand, I am speaking to a native English speaker, I will use words that may be complex to other so that I can express myself better.

I've had this particular problem for years now...I love having (and preferably using) a large vocabulary. I tend to think in more complex terms and I enjoy being able to express myself in a similar way. Unfortunately a lot of the people that I interact with on a regular basis do not have the same appreciation for language...and I'm forced to keep it simpler. One of the many reasons I love studying medicine and interacting with others who do, vocabulary is usually not much of a problem.

• 3 weeks later...

I make it a point to keep my language as simple as possible when I speak, and even when I write, for that matter. The purpose of communication is to convey the message and it using complex words will only complicate matters. Two people in the same field of work (like doctors), could use complex medical terms when talking to each other, but to do so with people who are not in the medical profession would only make people keep away from them.

I tend to speak using simple vocabulary as it's more likely that people will understand what you are trying to say rather that using big complicated words that no one really knows the meaning of.

Communication is only possible when the message of the sender is understood by the recipient, as intended by the sender. So, I always try to use simple words when making a conversation so that my message goes across unambiguously. The only place suited for complex words is when you are expressing your opinion while writing letters or articles.

I think I usually use a simple, or normal, vocabulary when writing and speaking. Every now and then though I like to throw in some  more complex words, not to "seem smart" or anything but because some words just feels right to use. However I never get too complex in my writing, I never use words I don't know the meaning of.