Linguaholic

Babelfish Machine Translation

linguaholic

Have you ever heard of Babelfish Machine Translation and if yes, what do you think about it in terms of quality and accuracy (maybe compared to Google Translate)?

If you don't know Babelfish, this is the direct link to its machine translation service:

http://www.babelfish.com/

I am unfamiliar with Bablefish Machine Translation.

However, I did visit the site and pop in a few simple phrases in Spanish to see how they'd translate into English. They were all correct. What I do like about this online translator is the ease of use.

I must say I'm impressed by the quality of the translations I got from Babelfish.  I tried with a dutch phrase, and it was very correct!  Way better that Google translate.  For some reason I always doubt all the translations done with Google translate.  I just don't trust it, but I might now stick to Babelfish :)  I'm very impressed!

I've heard about Babelfish since last year, but I'm only fluent in Tagalog, so I can't really gauge the accuracy of Babelfish because they still don't offer my language until now. But I tried a few English to Spanish translations, and they seem to do a pretty decent job.

Google translate is totally useless. I've used it before out of curiosity but wasn't impressed with the results I got. I've just heard of Babelfish machine translation and though I'm yet to test it out, I don't suppose it would be good enough to provide accurate translations because guys, that's the truth. Human language is too complex to be translated accurately by some software.

Babelfish is what I used before I switched to Google. From my experience from before, Babelfish is quite accurate when translating Chinese and Japanese. I can't say how it compares to Google since it's been so long since I've used Babelfish I thought it's no longer available.

I haven't heard of Babelfish Machine Translation. I don't know whether or not it's a website to translate from one language to another. I have notice that Google Translate isn't too accurate because it makes more mistakes than I can imagine. I will give the Babelfish a try to see how the translation works for me. Thanks for the recommendation!

I've had a few friends to mention babelfish to me before but have never tried it until now. From my little experience with it, it seems to be extremely accurate. In comparison to Google Translate, it seems to be at about the same level of quality and accuracy. I know that there are a lot of people who don't like Google Translate and for those people I would say go with babelfish.

Yes, I have heard of this and I recall using it a good number of times before Google translate became popular. I remember having trouble remembering the name of the site though, as I did not know the history behind babel back then and I had trouble relating why it would be named that way and even have the word fish in its title when the subject is translation and language.  :grin: