Linguaholic

Does anyone do breathing exercises for better speech?

True2marie

The experts at Livestrong.com posted an article detailing how breathing exercises can improve a person's speech. They build up your diaphragm and give you more confidence. I have done breathing exercises for health reasons (get more oxygen) and it does help in communicating more fluidly with others.

See link: http://www.livestrong.com/article/343820-breathing-exercises-for-speaking/

I've been doing some minor breath exercises for other purposes(health, relaxation etc.) and it does have an effect on the way you speak, because you are essentially training and preparing you respiratory system to better function, and that is obviously connected.

As a general rule, take a bit deeper and slower breaths, be conscious of them, and try to limit it to nose-breathing as much as possible(mouth-breathing is a bad habit). If you feel a lot of tension and pressure, take a few really deep breaths, it really does wonders, and it's not a mental thing, because it actually has physiological ground to it.

Nope, no tongue or breathing exercises (even tho I should probably try the breathing ones). I do practice breathing techniques to relax ;)  Those do wonders.  I'd love to hear from someone who has actually tried those exercises :)  It'd be interesting if they actually work to improve one's speech, not like I'd be able to stick to the routine of practice those exercises often if they prove to be effective... I'm just a woman of a really inquisitive nature :)

No, I don't do breathing exercises for better speech because one is that I haven't heard of it. Secondly, I don't know how to do it, even though I know I don't use this kind of exercises. I just speak the way I normally do because that's how I practice my speech. I just say it regardless of whether people will make fun of the way I speak, which I don't mind because I say what I have to say.

I have heard of breathing exercises to be able to sing better, but breathing exercises to be able to improve your speech is unheard of in my book until I read your post. I haven't tried it out yet and I think it would be a bit weird if I did, lol.

I never knew that breathing exercises could be done to better ones speech :cool:. I have done it a few times when I have a respiratory problem and I have seen my son done it too because he sings on a choir, but this is new to me. I need to get more detail as to how it works though.