Linguaholic

Disculpe or Permiso?

dtommy79

Depends the situation to decide which one is more appropriate, though people will most likely understand you with either.

I have heard "con permiso" more than simply permiso, but in the grand scheme of things it matters little if you include it or not. it still makes full sense and this could be just a mexican thing.

Use "(Con) permiso" when you need to pass and you will bother another person in order to do so.

If you are going to ask them about something use "disculpa" (someone you get along with or know well) or "disculpe" (older people, someone you don't know), to be extra polite to get their attention.

Either "(con) permiso" or "disculpa/e/en" can be used when you need to excuse yourself. Permiso is probably a bit more appropriate.

I think it is one of those things you will slowly develop as you read or hear them. That happened to me with "make" and "do" since for spanish it is one word, but don't worry it will become easier as time passes.

For now, if you are in doubt and need to use one go with "disculpe(n)" one

• 1 month later...

As I understand it, Desculpeand Desculpa are exactly the same and only differ in world gender for sentence usage, both words are derived from the world Disculpeme, which translates to "Excuse me". Desculpe is generally used as a more casual way of excusing yourself while, for example, going through a crowed, bumping into someone or interrupting someone who is speaking.

Permiso is somewhat similar, it translates to permission in English and is used simply for asking permission. For example, as a guest in a house, if you want pick up a book, or look at an award from the host or reaching across someone to get something, permiso would be the right word to use.

Well, I usually use ''con permiso'' when I want to get past some people who are actually blocking my way.  I never use ''permiso'' alone.  So when you are in a situation like this, where you want to get past some people or just grab something you can always safely say ''con permiso''.  Disculpa is also ok in some circumstances, but not all.

I usually use disculpa when addressing someone I don't know and I need to ask something.  Like for example when I'm eating at a restaurant... I say something like this: ''mesero! disculpe, me puede traer otro vaso con agua, por favor?''. Or: ''Disculpa, esto es tuyo?'', ''Disculpa, sabes dónde hay otra parada de camión?''.

As I understand it, Desculpeand Desculpa are exactly the same and only differ in world gender for sentence usage, both words are derived from the world Disculpeme

Disculpe is the formal way of disculpa, imperative mood I believe, and discúlpeme or discúlpame, is the same but with an enclitic pronoun. These are verb conjugations of disculpar.

For example:

(Excuse me, can I ask you something?)

Disculpe ¿puedo preguntarle algo? <This one is the formal way>

Disculpa ¿puedo preguntarte algo? <And this one indicates proximity with the person being asked>

(Excuse me)

Discúlpeme <formal>

Discúlpame <casual>

And yes permiso is permission.

I would use permiso if you are trying to alert people that you want pass them, and con permiso if you want to, for example, get up from the table. Con permiso denotes resolution about the following action, and if you say con permiso while trying to get through the crowd, you may get some disapproving looks.

• 2 months later...

My take on it.

con permiso -  Is when you want to perform an action yourself that might bother someone.  Like passing them to enter a door.  it is literally asking for permission.

disculpe -  is when you want someone to do something for you, or you have already done an action that might have bothered someone (like bumped into them in a crowded room).  It is more interchangeable with perdon or ´excuse me´.

That's a very good question... They mean the same thing. I think it's the situation that determines their usage. When I try to analyze the difference, I feel disculpa is more like excuse me - forgive me for (my mistake). While permiso is more like excuse me - sorry to bother you - can you please (get out of my way, hand me the towel, and etc.)

• 1 month later...

Here in Mazatlan, I've hear people say "permiso" or "pase" when they've wanted to pass by me and "disculpe" when they've accidentally bumped into me. I have heard "con permiso" a few times but "permiso" has greatly outnumbered those times.

• 1 month later...

Use "(Con) permiso" when you need to pass and you will bother another person in order to do so.

If you are going to ask them about something use "disculpa" (someone you get along with or know well) or "disculpe" (older people, someone you don't know), to be extra polite to get their attention.

When I took a trip to Spain, I learned from my native-born professor to say "permiso" when walking by someone without bumping into them. We used it non-stop as we navigated crowds in the museums and the busy streets and sidewalks of Barcelona. Because of this experience, it's ingrained in me that these are two different sayings. Saying "permiso" is the translation of "excuse me" when you want to get by, but "disculpe" would be more like, "Pardon the interruption."

Don't know if anyone else has had a similar learning experience with these two phrases.