Linguaholic

How well do you read body language ?

Body language is definitely powerful.

In fact, it's really all you need to pay attention to in order to understand a person's current state of emotions and feelings towards you.

Hope this helps!

Akiyama

I'm not good at reading body language. I only read some of the simpler ones, but I have to really pay attention to the body language in order to understand it. Body language can be hard because it involves thinking and observation. I always have a hard time understanding people use their body language on certain purposes.

Oh, i'm good at it. I read peoples emotions like a clock :cool:. For those who can't it can be very devastating for them if it was a personal encounter :sad:. I go into a business  place and I just know which worker to avoid. I'll ask a friend what's wrong and the person might say they're ok but then finally admit to something.I generally check out the way the person look at me, their facial expression and how they move their shoulders. I don't know if anyone else does it that way.

I have heard that a lot of communication is done via body language and so most people communicate through this, but i have not experienced this for myself. Body language is some thing that i have not ever really been able to read or get and i hate making a lot of assumptions. It really complicates things in my opinion.

I find that since I'm able to communicate my feelings through my own body language, I'm also able to read others' body language well.  Once you realize the tricks and tips to reading someone's thoughts, body language can only improve your ability to read someone.  Through that combination, I find it interesting to people watch often!

Body language is very important to how others perceive you. I didn't know it's effects until recently after watching a TED talk about it:

I'm trying to improve my body language so I appear more confident to others, which in turn will make me more confident :)

The body language compromises a huge percentage of ourt overall communication, some dare to say it's almost as important as the spoken language form, I couldn't but agree more.  It's amazing how knowing more about  body language and how interpret it can help you to be percieved as a totally different person. 

For example, if you are a shy and insecure person, but you can manipulate your body language right, then people could percieve you as a really confident and independent person. You can easily tell when someone is lying to you as well.

If someone want to deceive you [for some reason] don't you think his/her body language would also mislead you into thinking that what you're hearing is "the whole truth and nothing but the truth?"

IMO, except on rare occasions, reading someone's body language is not that helpful. Trust you intuition.

Do you think "body language" of people speak more effectively than their spoken language ?

How well can you read a person's body language ?

Well for me i can read body language sometimes. You have some person that will look at you with lustful eyes. Like they want to tell you that they like you but are very afraid to tell you. Body language really speak a lot, sometimes persons don't like you and they will give you the eye look, that says I hate you . :wink:

If you are Italian, it is definitely easier to read body language. In Italy, it is the norm, people use various gestures, which can be quite funny sometimes.

When in Italy, you have to watch your body language. If your chin itches, and you scratch it in a certain way, you might be inadvertently communicating "Go to hell"

This is a very funny video about Italian body language

I find body language fascinating.  I'm always striving to become more perceptive about it.  I do think that in part, our understanding of body language is intuitive; while we may not be able to identify each and every gesture or facial expression with the precision of sign language, I think that if we are sensitive and mindful we can pick up intuitively what the person is expressing.  Or to put it in the vernacular, we may pick up certain "vibes" from someone and I think some of that is conveyed through body language.

Thanks for sharing those videos,  andre-nunes and PeterPen! :)  Great stuff. 

Something I have found really interesting over the years is when experts in body language will analyze a video of someone in the news -- often someone in a scandal or otherwise a case in which it's important to determine if they're telling the truth.  They will go into some detail about the person's gestures and what they may mean.  It's quite instructive. 

I think that I'm quite adept at reading body language. They actually reveal a lot more, like what the person is thinking even if they don't say a single word. Like for example, you can tell if a person likes or dislikes you thru their actions or how they look at you.

I read body language sometimes and I can be pretty sure what they really want, and I read their faces too which is their reaction.

I read it well. I'm often in public speaking situations and have learned what to do and what not to do. I also had to learn for when im interviewing people. Many times its not what you say, but how you say it. Leaning back in an interview shows uninterest. Too far forward could show you're to eager. Little things like that.

People say that words can lie but body language can't. I think there is a certain truth to this, most of the time when we dislike something we are not honest about it but our body language reflects what we actually think. We may say that we are not in hurry but our body will have signs that we do without realizing that indicate we are indeed in a hurry for example.

Body language can 'lie' though it's easier to slip up, it's typical for modern politicians who appear often in public to receive a great deal of training for deliberate manipulation of their body language. It was the introduction of the television and the resulting disparity in approval between televised/radio versions of a debate between politicians that made people realise body language is very influential.

There's a lot of over-analysis that relies on reverse referrals and justification though.

Generally I do fairly well and believe that I am continually improving at it.  I took a free class in reading body language and got a lot out of it.  Its a learned skill for most people because many people really aren't all that observant.