Linguaholic

Poetry as an art?

I used to love poetry when i was much younger, but as the years have gone by i tend to think that it is not as creative as i used to perceive it in my youth. I would rather read a book or an article online rather than poetry as i feel it is not so beneficial. What is your take on poetry?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Here's how I define poetry: the art of language. In other words, I believe that poetry is an art; more specifically using language to create art. I believe art is defined as being a product that originally had the intent to create art, so poetry should be words that were intended to become poetry. Because of this, there are so many different kinds of poetry. Poetry is just so diverse because there are no limits on what you can create with language.

Since there is limitless possibility for creation, it can be creative! You should read different kinds of poetry because you can't just stick with the stereotypical version of a poem. After all, poetry is creativity expressed in words.

My take on the benefits of poetry is that poetry does not provide concrete information like articles or books. That may be why you do not feel it is so beneficial. Poetry is not meant to convey concrete information, though. It is a chance to express creativity. Basically, poetry should make you feel good.

There are a few ways to get the most out of a poem. You can analyze a poem for its literary devices. Be proud of what you can find within poetry because you want to follow the footsteps of the writer. In addition, you may try to decipher metaphors and symbols. See if that repetitive "10-layered dip" has any significance. It could possibly mean the complex layers of life. You could be the chip that experiences it all in one go. Find the interpretation that suits you and be happy about it.

Because much of reading a poem is based on the reader's own interpretation, that is when the reader gets to benefit. It is like making your own story or fantasy, but basing it on someone else's work. Find the exquisite meanings and make them your own. The writer is guiding you to find the answer that you can call your own.

This is the pleasure that you can receive from reading a poem. That is what poetry is to me.

Poetry to me has evolved much over the years.  Around age 13  :emo:  I started to listen to rap music, and as my discography library expanded as I aged, I gained a new respect for those with the ability to rap poetry to a beat.  Today some of my favorite lyricists are J. Cole and Kanye.  A lot of people hate Kanye or don't call his music poetry.  Those people are idiots, I'm sorry.  The dude has over 20 grammys and is amazing at stringing words together into poetry.  Just my two cents. :kiss:

People use poetry to express personal feeling or what they see around them. It can be real entertaining, as with dub poetry and even relaxing when listening to it :cool:. When I was in Primary school alot of emphasis was placed on the art of writing poetry yet many students could not master it :sad:. Poetry, in my opinion, is a gift and for that reason I do appreciate it and recognize its writers :smile:.

I've always appreciated poetry for the beauty of the language and the imaginative use of imagery, expressions words and phrases.  I have favorite poems and poets both contemporary as well as classic. 

I think that because there is so much diversity and range in poetry that it's possible to find something that's appealing, whether it be rap lyrics -- I like Jay Z and Eminem for instance -- or some of the classics -- Shakespeare's sonnets and the poems of Emily Dickens are favorites of mine. 

Over the years I've also enjoyed attending poetry readings.  Hearing poetry read aloud before an audience can be a very enriching experience. 

It's really weird I used to love poetry when I was younger as well, but as I grew up I totally lost the interest in it!  I remember I even loved to write poetry, I invested a lot time in it as I was really passionate about it.  I really wonder how people can keep that interest once they grow up... some people must be poets by vocation...

I believe poetry is quite artistic.  Like anything else though and taking into account the broad spectrum of forms, I think there is an audience for most.  Sort of like beauty is in the eye of the beholder, certain forms of poetry can reach different audiences on a visceral level.  I think if you are open and  will experience many forms, you will find the art in one that appeals to you.

Indeed, poetry is the ultimate form of art.

It is beautiful to express your feelings poetically and it is an art to make others feel your emotions.

I love the art of poetry. I want to be a poet, if I cannot, I want to be a poetry :)

• 1 month later...

I am a Published International Poet myself and yes, I do believe poetry is an art. :) Like any other fields where we create things, poetry is an age-old art which does not only express the personal emotions of the poet but as well as how he perceives things surrounding him for that matter. Perfect poetry is an art itself for it a creative expression. Poetry exposes more creativity than you think it is. There maybe some readers who don't appreciate poetry but do read novels or short stories. Poetry does have its own story to tell but in a more higher level.  :wink:

For me, poetry is most definitely an art. To be able to find the right words to say what one wants to say in the right way so as to convey the thought precisely to the reader, is nothing short of an artistic ability.

I wrote my first poem in the third grade, about a teddy bear and a girl. Haha. That would be compared to a little kid's doodle! Over the years my writing has evolved, turned somewhat morbid, but I can say it takes time and effort to write a poem. Finding the perfect words is similar to finding the right shade of color for painting. Even harder sometimes!

Emily Dickinson, Sylvia Plath, John Keats, Robert Frost, all these poets are phenomenal.

As irrelevant as poetry may seem to people nowadays, we can't deny that it's still used. It's still a part of the heritage that we must preserve. Not many people are into poetry anymore and that concerns me, I'm afraid that it will soon become a lost art.

I used to love poetry when i was much younger, but as the years have gone by i tend to think that it is not as creative as i used to perceive it in my youth. I would rather read a book or an article online rather than poetry as i feel it is not so beneficial. What is your take on poetry?

It's beneficial in the context of which it is being used. If your wife is poetic, then poetry would be a good tool in capturing her heart every now and then. If she is not, then...

Also, if you want to send a message and you won't have the time to read a whole article to the audience or to even speak from your mind, then put it in poetry.

As irrelevant as poetry may seem to people nowadays, we can't deny that it's still used. It's still a part of the heritage that we must preserve. Not many people are into poetry anymore and that concerns me, I'm afraid that it will soon become a lost art.

Yes, the value of it is depleting. You see this is the sales that are made per year on Amazon, when it comes on to literature pieces. it's not going to be lost entirely though, in my opinion. There will always be a new generation of poets.

It's really weird I used to love poetry when I was younger as well, but as I grew up I totally lost the interest in it!  I remember I even loved to write poetry, I invested a lot time in it as I was really passionate about it.  I really wonder how people can keep that interest once they grow up... some people must be poets by vocation...

It seems to me that we are all saying that you are more poetic when we are younger? We're saying that since we grew up, life has simply become more busy and we find more time for pleasures such as watching the television?

It seems to me that we are all saying that you are more poetic when we are younger? We're saying that since we grew up, life has simply become more busy and we find more time for pleasures such as watching the television?

Or it could also be that when we're young we are more energetic and have more enthusiasm towards poetry. As we got older, we no longer have as much dedication to poetry because we're more concerned of things that are relevant to our lives. As a result, we lose the passion and fire we once had for poetry.

:amazed: I also thought poetry was amazing when I was growing up and wrote a bunch of bad poems too. Now I find some of my poems to be so silly. I think it's still a good medium because it helps people express themselves.