Linguaholic

What method do you use when you type Chinese?

I often type Chinese on my smartphone when I talk with my wife because it is easier to speak our native language. I usually use Pinning when I type Chinese because I know how to spell the character using Pinying, then I'm able to select the correct word associating to the Pinying. However, some people use strokes and write out the word that way, which I don't usually do that. What method do you use when you type Chinese?

I too use Pinyin when I type on my computers and phones because I find it more convenient than typing by strokes. I think strokes take too much time and sometimes I would get it wrong. Just use Pinyin and select the word I want is a lot faster for me.

On my Mac, I always use Pinyin. On my iPhone, I sometimes use Handwriting, but most of the time I am using Pinyin as well. Sometimes I force myself to handwrite characters on the phone, as it is really important to write chinese characters once in a while...if not, you will soon end up as an illiterate

• 2 weeks later...

On my smartphone, I use Go Keyboard which provides a Pinyin & a handwriting feature. I use pinyin most of the time and only use handwriting when I can't remember the pinyin for the character I want to use XD

On my computer (I use Windows), I just use the Pinyin feature that came with my computer. It's not perfect, but gets the job done.

• 4 weeks later...

I use Pinyin too! Part of the reason is that it's the only way I know to key in chinese characters into computers. For some reason I never got the chance to learn how to use strokes to input chinese characters.

• 2 weeks later...

I mostly use pinyin input because it's just so convenient :X I mean, it selects the right phrases for you when you type them in. Handwriting is kinda reserved for real life documents and calligraphy to make things look fancy. All the rigorous training forcing me to remember a huge amount of words in the correct stroke order kinda turned me off writing the characters so I'm kinda biased.