Linguaholic

How To Memorise Vocabulary Effectively (Video)

Nina_pf

On 5/24/2021 at 4:18 AM, Nina_pf said:

Here are some tips to help you memorise vocabulary faster and more effectively. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/AwAvOZW4Q_Y

Hi Nina, I liked your video but was somewhat surprised that you mentioned so little about learning vocabulary in context. I think it's been well established that, regardless of what you do, the vast majority of your vocabulary is acquired through "normal" activities, such as reading, listening, conversing and writing. Imo, doing the things you cover in your video would also be helpful to most people, but it probably is not where the bulk of your vocabulary is acquired, and it is certainly not a substitute for massive input and output. You probably already know that, and I wouldn't expect a whole video on it, but I was expecting a statement or two regarding it. 

You also failed to mention what is, perhaps, the most cutting edge tool for learning vocabulary these days - reading tools. LingQ pioneered this, but there is an (arguably) better free software version called LWT, and cheaper pay versions OPLingo and Readlang. These are effective for all languages, but much more so for Chinese and Japanese.

Anyway, I liked the video overall. Keep up the good work!

On 5/26/2021 at 5:11 AM, Wanda Kaishin said:

Hi Nina, I liked your video but was somewhat surprised that you mentioned so little about learning vocabulary in context. I think it's been well established that, regardless of what you do, the vast majority of your vocabulary is acquired through "normal" activities, such as reading, listening, conversing and writing. Imo, doing the things you cover in your video would also be helpful to most people, but it probably is not where the bulk of your vocabulary is acquired, and it is certainly not a substitute for massive input and output. You probably already know that, and I wouldn't expect a whole video on it, but I was expecting a statement or two regarding it. 

You also failed to mention what is, perhaps, the most cutting edge tool for learning vocabulary these days - reading tools. LingQ pioneered this, but there is an (arguably) better free software version called LWT, and cheaper pay versions OPLingo and Readlang. These are effective for all languages, but much more so for Chinese and Japanese.

Anyway, I liked the video overall. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the feedback! You are right, I should have definitely specified that more, thanks for letting me know.

I did cover your point of learning vocab through context though, when I mentioned learning the words for everyday objects around the house (the sticky-notes approach) and also when writing your grocery shopping lists in your target language instead fo your mother tongue. These are both examples of vocabulary you learn through the context of your everyday life that are individual and not standardised in the same way for everybody (it depends on the things you use, the foods you like, etc.). But I agree, it would have been good to clarify the context aspect.

And regarding the reading tools: I had actually not thought of that as a thing to include in that video (I am planning on making a different one talking about that), but I can see how it would have been great to include. I will look at some of the software you mentioned!

Again, I really appreciate your feedback. Thanks! :)