Linguaholic

Whats the longest you've spent in one day studying languages?

Hedonologist

I'm certain at least a few of you must have come across this guy.

Alexander Arguelles spent 15-16 hours per day studying various languages when he was at his peak many years ago. I suppose this is the only way one can become proficient in as many language as he is (a solid grounding in up to 57).

I have never seen him before that I can recall, but 16 hours per day it's impressive, I don't know how his brain can handle it.

I've studied several hours per day, I doubt that I've managed to study over 10-12 hours at my most and those were exceptional days.

He is one of the most proficient polyglots of modern times, so it's not surprising that to reach this world class level you would have to put a lot of effort it, it just seems that 15-16 hours is almost inhuman. Myself I don't think I've ever gone beyond 4, and even that was with many breaks.

The longest I have spent studying a language I would say would been around two hours. This was in High School  when I was learning German. Just like any other class in school, I would get bored if I spend anymore. Maybe this is why I do not know much German.  :laugh:

I'd be lucky if I could dedicate at least one hour to learning Dutch everyday  :laugh: The guy on that video must not have a lot things to do during the day, but it still is quite admirable he dedicates all that time off to learning languages.  I'm sure it will eventually pay off :) 

As for me... the max I've ever spent is probably 30 minutes listening to the dutch audio course I have.

Sometimes I spend about 10 hours learning language(s) a day. This might sound crazy but my Major is Chinese, therefore it does make sense, right ? :=)

A few years ago I studied 800 characters in 3 weeks while learning about 10 hours for 3 weeks in my holidays. I had lots of fun though  :grin:

I usually just spend around 30 minutes to 1 hour studying a foreign language, and since my attention span is quite short, to keep me interested, I listen to songs in that particular language so that the words can be recalled better in my head.

The most time I've spent in a day learning a new language is 3 hours. I guess that's because I didn't have lots of free time like I do now. So in future, probably, I could spend up to 7 hours studying because I really, really want to learn how to speak Hebrew real fast.

The longest I've spent trying to learn a language was 9 hours, for about three days in a row.

I tend to learn a language more intuitively, so I like being exposed to the language through books, music and movies, and I soak it all up like a sponge. It's not about learning words. So in a way I am always learning a language, especially when I'm in a foreign country.

I have spent several hours studying many subjects but not a particular language. I don't think that I have gone past three hours and that is in a group setting :beaten:. I really don't know how others do it but I would surely fall asleep or just get bored :bored:.

I spend 3 hours a day studying a new language. Though there are breaks in between so taking into consideration every minute spent on the actual study time, I'd say around 2 and a half hours only.  :laugh:

The longest I've spent is about 6 hours.

If I'm flying I dedicate the whole flight to my language studies. It's amazing how well I can concentrate 30,000 feet above ground. The unfortunate thing is, whenever I get to my destination the book gets put away and I don't study until I'm back on the plane again. Then, depending on what my duties are I won't study again until I feel like it. That's usually a couple weeks later.

However, the stop and go of my learning does nothing to help me. I find myself reviewing the same things over and over again. I really need to get one with it, especially if I actually hope to learn something this year.

16 hours  is just out of my league the only thing that I can do for that long is either writing,listening to music. That aside however the longest that I have taken studying language for me is just 2 hours. I know that it is unimpressive but it has worked for me.

I'd say that four hours is about the longest that I have managed to study and I found it exhausting!  I can't even begin to imagine doing it for fourteen hours a day or longer, that is unbelievable!  My mind was absolute mush after four hours and I was tired when I hit the three hour mark.  All power to someone who can spend that many hours on a language but my brain would revolt if I tried it!