Linguaholic

Job languages related

Peninha

I've worked maybe 15-20 years ago with an old man (he was 81 at the time and had not many teeth): I thought I would be doing translation, but he just wanted me to word process his "finantial dictionary" as he called it. Turned out to be interesting because he told me stories of the 1st World War in English...

What jobs did you have that required you to speak a foreign language? How did you manage?

I never had a job that required me to speak a foreign language. I worked many years in the insurance industry and they always asked that we use AT&T translators.  Sometimes I didn't do this depending on the nature of the call and if the customer spoke Spanish. But - it was never a requirement.

I'm lucky that I never met with a job that requires me to speak foreign languages. In my country as long as I'm able to speak English and the national language, I already met the requirements in the language part. Though, knowing Chinese is always an advantage when applying for a job here.

Well, I worked as an au pair in Norway for a while... that required me to speak english, and hopely learn some norwegian.  I never managed to learn norwegian because my employers always spoke to me in english, and to be honest I never made a real effort to learn it, but I did learn some words after a while.  I have forgotten most of it tho... I guess the old phrase: ''use it or lose it'' is true when it comes to this, lol.

Over here in the Philippines, most companies interview you in English, and answering in English is a must, but you can speak Tagalog in the workplace. But if you work in a call center, then you are required to speak English all throughout the interview and in the office if you get accepted.

Two of my professions require me to use my second language, English. I am both an English instructor and a professional writer in English. I have always been interested with the English language since I was still a student which helped me learn it well. I am enjoying my two jobs and I am also able to share my talent in writing using my second language.