Linguaholic

Kindle Fire as a Learning Tool?

efpierce

• 1 month later...

I think it depends on what applications or game you will use. For the kids it's better to download games that can be useful for them. It will motivate a kid if she is learning and enjoying at the same time. Many games are kids friendly. I have a kindle fire I use it for more for reading. I stored many books in it.

I think that any tablet, especially a Kindle that promotes reading and learning would be great tools in developing new language skills. I bet they have so many books and resources on how to learn new languages in their store. I've utilized my laptop and tablet as ways to learn new languages, so I'm sure they would work wonderfully as well. :)

Anything that promotes reading will help develop and reinforce comprehension skills. The more you are exposed to written material the better that you will get at mastering the semantics of the language, given that you are consciously making an effort to improve yourself.

You have access to thousands of material you can use. I also believe that the Kindle has a built in dictionary as well.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A lot of books are now being ported to the Kindle. I think it's great because the Kindle makes life so much easier. Carry a thousand books in your pockets, that's a bargain right there.

I think it's a great learning tool because you not only get access to the classical books for free (such as classic English Literature), the ones that are not free are very cheap!

I also find it really elegant to read on (even the Kindle Fire).

It depends on what I have to learn. I used to have a Kindle, which I mainly used for reading because that was the reason why I bought the Kindle e-reader. I don't usually download apps for learning purpose because it is meant to be used as a learning tool because it is not like other tablets which are dedicated for learning.

• 4 months later...

There are many apps you can easily download and use on your tablet, but I'm afraid you will need something better if you want to use Adobe Reader!  I'd recommend you buy a normal tablet, most tablets support Adobe Reader.  There are some tablets that even have Windows 8.1 as their OS.

So why not investing on a good tablet instead?  That would be much nicer, don't you think?  I received a phablet as a gift and I'm quite happy with it :)

Depending on what kind of free or paid apps you have, I think that any Kindle, Android or apple product can be a very good learning tool. The thing is, in it's factory state without and kind of apps added then I really don't think they can be used as a learning tool.

Tablets/Smartphones can definitely be great learning tools, I have a few apps on my phone! I guess it depends what app you are using as to whether it's helpful or not, because some of the apps I've tried out for the iPhone are really bad. I have a Kindle for reading though and I love it, but I don't use it to help you learn languages as much as I just read on it in English instead. :P