Linguaholic

Are You Content With Learning On Your Own Or Would You Pay For A Tutor?

sidney

I might consider paying for a tutor to learn dutch, since it's really important I learn it as soon as possible (so I can start working as soon as possible in the Netherlands).  I might actually consider it, because learning a language on your own isn't easy at all!  Mostly because there are a lot things that can get in the way of your study session...  For some reason is easier when you know you have to go take classes at some place, because you feel pressed to find some time for it.

I usually study study languages on my own. However, when I first started to learn Chinese, I got myself a private tutor to get the pronunciation right. I could only afford this because I was in China at that time. Private tutors can be incredibly cheap there and it is/was well worth the money! When it comes to pronunciation in Chinese, you will DEFINITELY use some help of a native speaker. It is almost impossible to get the tones right without any help (lots of people do think they master the tones when speaking after a tape or so..but in fact their pronunciation might be still awful.

I am content learning on my own. I think I would only consider a tutor to iron out any bad habit I had picked up along the way once I got really advanced. I might also do it I was was preparing for a qualification. As it stands though I'll just continue to use books and Skype with natives.

Right now I am studying another language on my own with the help of some books and videos tutorials. But this year I do plan to enroll on a home tutorial language program that is available in this country and I  am willing to finish up to its highest level to get a certificate which I can use in so many ways while living in this country.

Based from the responses, I think that the people that will migrate or are living in another country are the ones that are willing to pay for a tutor, while those who just want to learn casually but have no urgent reason why they want to learn another language are the ones that will not pay for a tutor and are just content to self-study. I also have no urgent need to learn a new language, so I just self-study.

I definitely believe that learning a new language requires the help of someone else. So, I would study on my own and also get the assistance of a tutors.  Tutors are great because they have the tools to take you past what you can do on your own.

I'm learning on my own but I wish I had a tutor. I would like to be able to try and speak more with someone. The problem is that I live a fair distance outside the urban area. So, it wouldn't be cost effective for me to visit a tutor or have them visit me.

I'm learning on my own but I wish I had a tutor. I would like to be able to try and speak more with someone. The problem is that I live a fair distance outside the urban area. So, it wouldn't be cost effective for me to visit a tutor or have them visit me.

You could always get an online tutor, there's plenty to choose from for pretty much any language.

One thing to do (that's cheaper and takes off some of the pressure compared to having a tutor) is chat online with native speakers of the language you're trying to learn who want to learn your language. There are websites that match people up in this way, it's an engaging and effective way to learn a language with the correct pronunciation.

I don't have enough discipline or self-confidence to study on my own, so I prefer having a tutor. I'm in the middle of searching for a German tutor right now, actually. I just like having somebody who tells me what to do  :tongue:

My first stop would be YouTube. Because there's almost everything there! So I'd check that out first. Studying on your own is good too. But you really want someone to teach you the pronunciations right. Because you could be saying a word right, but pronouncing it wrong could make it mean something totally different!

The 'youtube' suggestions sounds good. I remember learning 3D modeling and being quite good at it primarily from experts who posted videos on youtube. I guess learning a language is no different. If you use the right search phrases I'm sure you'll find a video that will answer to your needs regardless of whether you're just a beginner. . .an intermediate language student, etc. So, at the present [for me] I don't think it's necessary to pay for a tutor when you can get most of these lessons free online.

I've done both so the main question for me is how far do you want to go? If you're not in the country and don't have contact with native locals studying on your own will only take you to a point, beyond that you need to contact with (native) speakers or have a tutor.

I wouldn't mind having a tutor but I wouldn'nt actually pay for one unless I was considering using the language for something major, like getting a job. There is so much to learn on the net plus I study with friends so we coach each other :cool:.

I like to start out with a tutor so that I can get the basics down like the sounds and the basic accent.  Once I have that down, I like to go about it on my own.  I find that I can study a language more and be more proficient at it if I can sit down when I have time and study rather than meeting with a tutor.  They are always helpful at the beginning for me though.

Having a tutor is always good especially when you're just starting out. A tutor can point out your errors and correct them. The tutor can teach you the basics and show you where to start. Maybe after we're on the intermediate level we can start to study on our own.

I would begin learning a language by studying on my own and set a certain goal for a certain period of time. If I don't achieve my goal on the set time, it means my method is not effective and may have to start getting a tutor for proper consultation and studying techniques.

I like to study on my own even if its something that I don't practically understand.This is because I'm a go-getter and I love the feeling you get after you understand something on your own.

I think learning on your own is better, however there will obviously be people who disagree. I mean it really depends on what you like. Like me personally like learning on my own because it even makes me feel like I have accomplished more at the end of the day if I have done so on my own. Learning on your own is also cheaper as well.

I prefer learning on my own, I find it a bit uncomfortable to work or learn with other people.

That and the main reason I enjoy learning new languages is to slowly piece things together on my own, I feel like a tutor would kill that small enjoyment of mine.