Linguaholic

Is there any form of Korean language?

Joo.K

what was the most difficult part in learning Korean?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. what was the most difficult part in learning Korean?

• Mastering Grammar
    • Memorizing Vocabulary
    • Speaking Korean
    • Writing Korean sentences

Korean language // Sentence patterns // Declarative, imperative, interrogative sentences

Today, we are going to talk about the form of Korean language. There are declarative, imperative, and interrogative sentences in form of Korean language. If you understand the following explanation, you can make Korean sentences much easier than before.

A declarative sentence in Korean language has a simple form, thus you can memorize it easily. For example, there is a sentence; ‘I like you’ in English. All you need to do is switching the order both ‘like’ and ‘you’ to make a Korean sentence. In other words, it will be ‘I you like’ in Korean. You also can remove the subject and object (please refer to my first post).

An imperative sentence in Korean language is similar to English sentence. Both English and Korean languages omit Subjects in imperative sentences. There is no subject in English sentence when people use imperative one. Korean sentence also doesn't include a subject.  However, you should know about different sentence endings. If you have friendly relations with a listener, you can use informal sentence endings. On other way, you must use polite order (command) if the listener is a boss or older than you.

An interrogative sentence in Korean language is a little bit different with English. We usually use a subject in English sentence. On the other hand, you don’t need to use a ‘subject’ in Korean sentence. For example, there is a sentence; ‘where did you go?’ in English. As you can see from the sentence, there is a ‘subject (you)’ in English. However, it’s better and natural not to write and say the ‘subject (you)’ in Korean language.

When you practice making Koran sentences, try clarifying by sentence. If you understand what I mentioned earlier very well, your Korean skill will be improved and very natural. Please try to make various sentences in Korean language.

**if you have any question, please let me know. I’m willing to help you.

Writer: Joo, K

Dear Joo

Thank you for that great post about the different sentence types in Korean. I was wondering if you could provide an example for each of the sentence types and also give us the English translation for the sample sentences. That would be great!  :grin: