Linguaholic

Are you passionate about accents?

What is your favorite Korean Idol group?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Korean Idol group?

• Big Bang
    • Girls' Generation
    • Shinee
    • Girls' day
    • other

I have always loved the different English accents, and I always try to speak in different accents.

I lived in the UK for a few years, so I was exposed to various accents: Liverpool, Manchester, Yorkshire, Cockney. I also love other English accents like the Aussie accent, the Kiwi accent, Texas, New Yorker of Italian origin, South African.

I find the accents quite funny. I love the way the English language can bend in so many ways.

It is also funny to hear a non-native English person speak with an accent: there is a funny Indian accent, Nigerian and so on.

Do you like accents? Which are your favorite? What accents can you do fairly well.

I love speaking in a Northerner accent, or Scottish accent, Manchester accent. I've tried speaking most of the above.

I found this great video on youtube about accents which is quite funny that I would like to share with you all.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I am  very passionate about accent. I like that of Australia and England. I think I do master the English accent more though because I watch alot of their movies :cool:.

I like mimicking different accents when I read. My favorite is British accent, it sounds classy and royal when I use it. Personally, I use American accent whenever I talk to people but I feel that knowing other accents help me understand other people better.

Linguists don't like to think of any accent as being 'good' or 'bad' - they're all different, but equally valid.

I like the BBC RP accent. I once thought this was the universal British accent but after traveling a little bit I realized that it wasn't. Same way most non-Americans believe there's a universal American accent when in fact there are a number of them.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/09/dialect-map-of-the-us-region-aschmann_n_3245496.html

I love accents, and currently work with actors as a Dialect Coach. It's very interesting to me, because everyone learns accents in different ways, and at different rates. Some accents seem to be universally difficult to imitate, like Irish. This is because of the intonation. Others are usually easier to teach, like Southern USA dialects. If you're interested in accents, there is a great website you can look at, which has loads of samples of dialects in English from all over the world.

www.dialectsarchive.com

Enjoy!

I'm a linguist and one of my main interests is regional variation in the English language. That does not only mean differences like "who says 'soda', who says 'pop'?" or differences in pronunciation (for example, in some American dialects, 'pin' and 'pen' or 'cot' and 'caught' sound the same), but also differences in syntax. Some dialects allow multiple negation ("ain't nobody ..."), which is generally not considered 'correct' in Standard English.

There is a book called 'Accents: A Manual for Actors' -- it comes with a CD -- and it does not only talk about foreign accents, like "what does a Spanish accent in English sound like and why?" but also about the dialects in one country. It's super interesting, and the CD is fun to listen to, as it's just the author imitating all the different accents.

Yes, the American dialects are fascinating and one doesn't have to go very far in order to experience them.  I live in Connecticut, a small state, and by traveling less than fifty miles I can experience a noticeable change.

Haha cool video. Nice find!  :smile:  Well I like the Irish accent because the way we (Filipinos) speak English is close to how Irish people speak the language in terms of accent. I'm trying to learn the American accent, particularly the New York accent as it is said to be the standard American accent.

I'm from the Midlands, and we don't really seem to have that much of an accent. We do have our fair share of unique words though. I definitely enjoy comparing words and accents with my friends at uni who have come from all over the country.

I love listening to different accents! My father used to say that you're not speaking proper English if you're not using the British accent (He worked at a yacht with Europeans) but I think having different accents for a particular language makes it more interesting. I believe as long as people understand you, you're using the language properly... no matter what accent you have. Some accent are a bit difficult to understand though, and sometimes it can get awkward when two people are speaking the same language but can't understand each other.

I love hearing accents, and I mostly love hearing about it when used for comedy. I think it's a great way to learn or even get other people interested in other cultures they/we would probably never have paid attention to had we not seen a lighthearted and entertaining depiction of them.

I wouldn't say that I'm passionate about them. I just find them very intriguing. I like all sorts of accents; it's what makes the world go 'round. I have a Southern accent, and a lot of people love it.

• 2 weeks later...