Linguaholic

English Slang Terms

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I use English slang but very minimal.It's weird to be communicating with someone who is using it and you are not. So it's not that I like it, i'm just being natural.

It depends on who im around. At work? Never. At home? Sometimes. With friends? Mostly.

I'm all for slangs if you're also able to speak english correctly. If all you know is chopped up words, you better go get a book and stop playing the videogame.

If I'm not speaking or writing something formal I use slang all the time. When you are talking amongst a bunch of friends I think slang comes about naturally. Think about all the terms you use for items that might not be the proper word. I really don't believe slang is avoidable; it can be said and you're not fully aware that you've done so.

I normally don't use slang because I hardly ever come into contact with people who are 'in-the-know.' It's embarrassing to admit this but if I have to use slang in my writing, I have to look up some of the words online! Guys, it's just. . .I live in the country.

I'm actually a native speaker. But I'm going to chime in and say that my best friend in high school was Japanese with beginner-level English ability. He picked up slang from hanging out with me and my friends and everybody thought it was cool! You might never use it in the workplace, but I feel that using English slang is a good way to connect and make friends with native speakers.

I only use it when I am texting or typing online. I usually speak proper English most of the time where I live currently because I am in Germany and people tend to not know much of English slang so they wont get what I am saying. So I just stick to proper English and thats better I guess. The less slang the more I improve in speaking :)

There's no real problem with slang at all - it's a natural language phenomenon that occurs in the relaxed speech of a large majority of people. The problems only really start when people aren't capable of code-switching and end up using language that's inappropriate for a given context or environment. As long as you know when slang is okay to use and when it isn't, there's no problem whatsoever.

I tend not to use slang because it is an informal way of speaking English or other languages. I speak English formally and normally especially since I am currently enrolled in a Legal Course and am about to go to Law School. Conversing and learning highfalutin words are great for the mind and a great way to add words to your vocabulary. 

I'm a native English speaker and I only use slang with people that I know.  I've live in the North East and the South East and the slang has varied drastically.  When I first moved to the north, everyone thought I had a very strange way of speaking :)

I always use English slang terms, unless I'm in a formal situation. I think it's a great way to break the ice and make people feel comfortable, I use it a lot in a comical way, to make people laugh, but that is kind of my personality.

One tip, though: don't use any derogatory slang words (racist, sexist etc).

Some slang words I like to throw around include:

Fo sho! (for sure)

Sup, dawg (what's up, dog?)

Aiight (alright)

Yo momma! (your mom)

• 1 month later...

There's no real problem with slang at all - it's a natural language phenomenon that occurs in the relaxed speech of a large majority of people. The problems only really start when people aren't capable of code-switching and end up using language that's inappropriate for a given context or environment. As long as you know when slang is okay to use and when it isn't, there's no problem whatsoever.

I agree. Slang can be a fun way of using language. Using it usually means you're in a relaxed environment and are comfortable with the people you are talking to. Slang only becomes a problem if you keep using it during situations where it can be considered improper. As long as you can distinguish where to draw the line, I don't see any problem with it either.

Yes, I do. Talking to the same people and about the same things regularly tends to get very boring for me so I try to change it up from time to time. Furthermore, I think just the slang words themselves are very whimsical and fun so even if I weren't bored I'd probably still be amused by them.

Slang is well very different for everyone. I do use slang in my speech and even sometimes in my writing, especially when chatting to friends. "braai" is a South African word for barbeque. "lekker" is another word for nice.