Linguaholic

Chinese Character Keyboards

• 3 weeks later...

Google Pinyin is absolutely amazing to use. I have it on my Android phone and my tablet as well and I am able to type in pinyin, as well as writing characters with my finger.

It doesn't have any ads that I've seen so far and is free from the Google Play store. I am almost positive that there would be an iOS version as well, seeing as Google is a massive company.

I have an ipad and a Mac (yes I know). Therefore I do not need to install anything, I can just choose chinese simplified or traditional in the language settings and I can type pinyin and write chinese characters with the finger (on iphone and ipad) without any problems. Works like a charm :=)

I also got a ZTE mobile phone and there I guess I am using something like google pinyin (not perfectly sure though). I used to have an iphone and there, of course, you do not need to install something in order to be able to type pinyin and write characters in "handwriting mode".

The one that I use is Baidu Pinyin input.

If you guys didn't know already, Baidu is kind of like the Chinese equivalent to Google or Bing.

Baidu Pinyin supports custom skins, and is one of the reason why I chose it (also because of Baidu being a reliable Chinese search engine).

In all honesty, literally any popular Pinyin input software that you have heard of will do well. There isn't a lot of difference between any of them, aside from a few occasional word prioritizations and such.

• 1 month later...

It depends on what kind of phone and what operating system do you use. If you use an IPhone, the IOS provides its Chinese keyboard for typing. For an Android device, which I use now, I download Google Pinyin, which is an awesome software for Chinese keyboard.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently using GO Keyboard (Free) which offers both character writing and pinyin. It also has other language keyboards.

It's not the best, but it'll do the job.

As I use a Mac and and iphone, I just always use the apple standard input methods for Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese. They work like a charm (mainly using handwriting input and pinyin)

• 10 months later...

Most phones made recently come with build in or easily downloadable Chinese support. I know it's already been mentioned, but Google pinyin is very good, I use it whenever I want to spend a message on the phone, especially with the drawing option.