Linguaholic

I made an app to learn languages while listening to podcasts

Derek

I'm an avid podcast listener and I love learning languages. However, it happened quite often to me that when I heard a good word or phrase through my favorite podcasts, I didn't have the time to grab my pen and write it down. This frustrated me a lot because those were usually good and useful words that I wanted to incorporate into my own learning. So one day while this happened to me again I felt enough was enough. I decided to make an app to solve this problem. 

Fast forward a few months, PolyPro was born. I started to use it every day to improve my target languages (English & Swedish). A typical workflow for me looks like this:

- Play my favorite podcast while I'm cooking, cleaning, etc
- When I hear a good word or expression, I simply double-tap on my headphones to quickly save that conversation snippet into a short audio clip. Sometimes I save 1 or 2 clips for an episode, sometimes I might save 10 or 20!
- Later when I have some time, I'll sit down and go through these audio clips. I can replay each audio clip to get familiar with the context. If the clip has a word that I want to dive deep into, I'll add a word to it, and it automatically links that new word to the audio clip, so that when I study it later I get to hear it in its original context. 

This might sound like a rather unusual workflow, and I understand that it might not work for everyone, especially for those who have dedicated time to study. But for people like me who have little to no time for study after work, kids, and other countless family duties, this allows me to keep improving my languages without having dedicated study time. After all, learning to notice is the key to learning anything. :)

Link to the app on the App Store:
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/polypro/id1540488532

• 1 month later...