Linguaholic

Studying alone or with friends?

Peninha

I've always studied alone, but when it gets to practice no doubt we need to have a partner to do it!

When learning a language what works better for you, studying alone or with friends?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I'd prefer studying with friends but I live deep in the country so since I study [predominantly] online, I have no option but study alone. I don't know if there are places online where one can find an interlocutor who is learning the language you speak but is a native speaker of the language you're learning. Finding such a person would be very convenient. But until then. . .I guess I'll keep studying alone.

You just got lucky Denis, look what linguaholic just offered us: http://linguaholic.com/general-discussion/new-language-exchange-forum/  :wink:

When I was studying languages I did it all alone, except German and Russian that I took it to the next level, but this wasn't exactly learning, but more practicing.

I'd prefer studying with friends but I live deep in the country so since I study [predominantly] online, I have no option but study alone. I don't know if there are places online where one can find an interlocutor who is learning the language you speak but is a native speaker of the language you're learning. Finding such a person would be very convenient. But until then. . .I guess I'll keep studying alone.

I found the website livemocha very useful for this. You can use it for free and take short lessons and do exercises that also involve writing short texts or speaking. You get feedback from native speakers (you have to assess the exercises done by people learning your native language in the free version, I think) and you can chat with native speakers, too.

Yeah, there's so many resources on the 'net, learning languages is a lot easier now. Having said that, Livemocha got bought out by its main competitor last year and isn't as free as it used to be.

Regarding studying, i have a preference for doing it alone but learning to communicate with a new language is a pretty clear example of when you benefit from the input of others.

It's amazing how much the net offers for learning a new language  :amazed:. If you should use all the resources available you would find that you may not even need anyone. However, I am more comfortable studying with friends, the interaction is more therapeutic for me so I grasp more :cool:.

I like to study with friends so we can communicate with one another and immerse ourselves in the language for a time. A few of us are learning Mandarin right now and it is fun to go to the local restaurant that they have here and practice on some of the employees. 

I think it's better to study with other people. Especially if we're talking about languages! I mean, that's the point of learning languages; so that you'll be able to communicate better.

I would like to make a difference here between the actual study and the practice. It's certain that you can't practice alone, but for studying it doesn't make that big a difference, just if you want to ask how to pronounce a word for example.

Much of my learning a new language is done alone but in order to really immerse myself and have it become natural I need to be around others who speak it.  We get together and share a meal and only are allowed to talk in our new language.  The knowledge level of the group is varied so there is always someone their who is better at it than the rest, it helps in correcting any mistakes that we are making.

I've always studied alone, but I prefer practicing a language with a friend, or at least someone online.  That's why I used the polyglot web site to find a language exchange buddy, so I could practice with someone on Skype.

I actually did that a lot last year, I had a really good friend from Israel who was very interested on improving his english.  Sadly we no longer talk, because his wife just had a baby last year, so he is really busy.  I'd really recommend finding someone to practice with in one of those web sites.

When it comes to studying language, I am for both alone as well as with friends. The reason is when alone you look and find new words which you can test out in sentences when you are with your friends. Therefore, you get the best from both worlds.

Studying with native speaker friends is definitely best if possible. Some people have already recommended other social language learning sites here, but I don't think anybody mentioned Lang-8. Basically you write about whatever you want in your target language, and native speakers correct your grammar. You can make some online friends there if you try hard enough. lang-8.com I believe is the address. The only problem is you have to think about things to write about all the time...

Studying with friends for me is preferable because we can discuss about words and terms we do not understand. Also, we can correct each other when we make mistakes in writing or pronunciation. It's always better to have someone to practice your language on.

I've always studied alone, but when it gets to practice no doubt we need to have a partner to do it!

When learning a language what works better for you, studying alone or with friends?

I would say studying with friends always help, because then and there you can do practice test. It also help motive you, to want to do your best at what you do. And if there be something that you don't understand they can explain for you. So i think studying with friends really help.

I usually study alone but I find that things come quicker to me when I'm studying with someone else, especially when I'm explaining something to someone else. You can learn a lot faster when teaching another.

I think that languages probably is one the few cases that it's probably better to study with someone. At first, the sounds and the speaking is enhanced because you get to speak and listens to other pronouncing the same words and you can correct it faster. The interaction is really needed in language learning and that isn't possible when you're alone.

A combination of studying in a group and self-study would be more effective I believe. :) While studying with a group of people enhances your interactive skills and you can brainstorm some ideas once in a while, self-study also helps you continuously learn on your own even without the help of other people.It is the same with attending classes and doing self-study at home.

I would really love to study with friends if I had serious ones. I believe group studying is good but I can't seem to find people to study with. That is why I am left studying alone. When I concentrate and successfully study without distractions, I usually have good results on examinations, quizzes and seat-works.