Linguaholic

What is your budget for language learning?

Hedonologist

How much are you willing to spend on each language that you learn?

I'm on quite a limited budget at the moment so I've only ever consider going up to around £60. With that I can usually get a good dictionary for £10, an Audio course for £15 and then spend the remainder on coursebooks, grammars and readers.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Hmm, that is not an easy question. I spent hundreds of dollars for Chinese, whereas I only spent a few bucks for French and English. However, I am actually willing to spend quite a lot of money for learning languages if necessary, as studying languages has always been a priority for me.

At this day and age, however, you can find a massive amount of information on the internet about almost any language and it is not really necessary anymore to spend a lot of money for language learning tools.

I really like to buy Flashcards for all the languages that I am learning. Digital Flashcards are nice as well, but I really prefer printed flash cards. It's nice to have something in your hands while doing flashcards  :grin:

Honestly, I moved to another country months back, and there are still huge moving/visa/etc. expenses, so my budget for languages is about 0, however big priority they are.

Thankfully internet is filled with free resources, and I've borrowed some textbooks from friends as well. I also have from before Rosetta Stone, which is a really good thing to have when you can't afford even buying a dictionary (I could technically afford it, but any money I get need to go into a whole list of things the moment I receive them).

I really don't even have a budget for learning a new language. I learn everything from having real life conversations with the locals where I live now. I also use the internet if I have to.  :kiss:

How much are you willing to spend on each language that you learn?

I'm on quite a limited budget at the moment so I've only ever consider going up to around £60. With that I can usually get a good dictionary for £10, an Audio course for £15 and then spend the remainder on coursebooks, grammars and readers.

This was exactly what I did when I was studying most of my languages, I visited amazon and I bough dictionaries, book, grammar and audio tapes, I was set to go. I can't recall how much all that cost me, but it didn't reach £60.  :wink:

I spent a lot cash in the past, mostly on language learning books and courses.  I lost the count of how much I spent on those books and courses to be honest. I might be spending a lot money in the future to learn dutch, my boyfriend told me we might buy a special dutch course or sign me up for a dutch language course.  So we might spend quite a bit in the future.

I don't plan to spend more cash in other languages tho, for now dutch is good.  Plus I'm on a budget, so spending more money on language materials isn't the best idea right now.

Well, this is an interesting question. I guess it depends on what language I'm studying. If I'm studying for fun, then I try to use free internet resources whenever possible. If I'm studying because I want to go to the country and find a job there in the future, then I don't mind taking courses and buying books/materials to study the language.