Linguaholic

movies with subtitles help in improving or not.?

lovely

I think subtitles are perfect for learning English. Preferably those that display two subtitles at once. One in English, and one in the native language of whoever that is watching. The subtitles in English will help you with learning new words, the correct spelling, and the proper pronunciation of them. The subtitles in native language will then helps with understanding the meaning of the words and the proper usage of the words. Of course, both the subtitles have to be accurate for this to work.

I think that subtitles most of the time keep your eyes fixed on the bottom of the screen and not on the movie characters themselves.Some of them do not give the actual message that is supposed to be put across.If they have to be included in the movie,they must be relevant.

• 1 month later...

In an English movie, I don't turn the subtitles on. I think it helps me a lot more if I just listen to the words than listen and read it. Plus, I lose focus on the movie itself when there are subtitles because I tend to stick to reading than watching.

• 2 weeks later...

Putting subtitles is helpful. Sometimes characters in Foreign movies have different accent when speaking, so I find it hard to understand what they're saying. Sometimes, you can really understand a movie when subtitles were added to it. Here in the Philippines, they are using dubs, but I find it annoying. Subtitles are the best!

I have been watching movies with English language and accompanying English subtitles for about 6-7 years. I noticed that it really helped expanding my English vocabulary, especially when I could just pause the movie while looking up an expression, idiom or a word which I didn't understand.

Now I'm at that stage where if the movie is voiced in Hungarian, but sub is in English, I read and comprehend the subtitle faster than the voice actors finish their lines.

They do, but not in a fast way. It will really take time. But I'd like to explain this in two dimensions: one with 1.) improving the native language's grammar (or at least, your grammar using subtitles of a language you're familiar with), and, 2.) learning more about the new language using subtitles of languages you're familiar with.

Examples:

1.) Movies with dialogue in English with English subtitles

2.) Foreign movies with dialogue in their native language with English subtitles (examples are anime and tokusatsu spoken in Japanese but with English subs)

Do these help? Yes.

1.) In this dimension, it can really help English speakers who might have a hard time following the dialogue of the characters. There are a lot of movies and series with actors barely speaking but you can hear a lot of words coming out of their mouths. Not being able to see and understand them will make it hard for listeners to understand what's going on.

As to the way it improves learning, it does inasmuch as grammar and pronunciation is concerned. New words and concepts can be introduced, and concepts in English grammar (tenses, etc.) can be learned through hearing them overtime. Sometimes, during exams dealing with correcting sentences, I often base my answers as to how I hear actors tell the sentences.

However, I don't advise to improve solely using these kinds of subtitles. I recommend that we should also read more books, and actually speak the language to learn the concepts better.

2.) In this case, it does help because the story and the characters' thoughts could be well-understood. The risk here is if the translations are wrong and the message gets misinterpreted. I really praise the work of translators who do a lot of risks comparing and contrasting various words in different languages just to get the right meaning of what they believe the show or movie wants to convey.

Either way, this really helps introduce the language to listeners. Especially when they add translation notes on parts of the series when new words and concepts are introduced, and they get to explain these things. I've learned much of Japanese (at least, the super basics) from hearing these things overtime.

Subtitles are helpful, but it's not going to be all that great either.

If you're watching translated subs, then the translation accuracy is probably not going to be all that good, with a few exceptions. If you're watching regular subs (an English movie with English subtitles), I can tell you that they often leave out a LOT of the context for some scenes. Depending on how busy a scene is, they may have only transcribed what they felt was the "most important" dialogue, so a lot of meaning gets lost. I've seen a few scenes where only one line out of three was transcribed, and even those were missing words.

I feel bad for people who can't hear and have to rely on these things, they end up missing out on quite a bit due to laziness or lack of room on the screen for more dialogue.

movies with english subtitles help in improving or not..? or regional movies with english subtitles works..?

I think they will help you if you understand what the movie is about. Try to watch something easy like a romantic comedy or a cliche movie. This way you already know what the story is going to be about, but at the same time you're practicing by looking at the subtitles. This is part of the reason cartoons with subtitles help people learn languages easily