Linguaholic

What do you think of News in Slow Spanish?

www.newsinslowspanish.com

I'm pretty shy and travel a lot for work so I don't get many opportunities to converse with people in person.  I was thinking about joining this site since it would focus on my listening and then I could practice reading the scripts out loud.  Do you thinking mimicking the script readings would help my Spanish?  Has anyone tried this website to supplement their Spanish learning?

I'm pretty shy and travel a lot for work so I don't get many opportunities to converse with people in person.  I was thinking about joining this site since it would focus on my listening and then I could practice reading the scripts out loud.  Do you thinking mimicking the script readings would help my Spanish?  Has anyone tried this website to supplement their Spanish learning?

You could learn Spanish this way although eventually you'll have to converse with someone. It's the only way to see if you can communicate effectively.  Otherwise, you could be wasting your time.

I agree, at some point you have to leave your comfort zone and talk to people.  I am not there yet, either.

I think when I have some extra dollars to spare, I will check out this site. My biggest problem and my greatest fear, is speaking Spanish; I don't understand what I'm hearing so I get confused. I need to hear the language at the normal speed, so I can learn to pick up on the words. Right now, it all sounds like one long word until I hear a word I know well. By the time I've grasped the first part of the sentence, the speaker has already moved on. By that point, I'm lost and resort to the smile and nod.  :shy:

• 3 months later...

Hi, have you considered online lessons (via Skype)? If you travel a lot, this may be a good option for you.

• 3 months later...

wow, do you know how hard i looked for something like that back when i was only starting to learn Spanish?? I wish i saw that link back then. Yes, i believe that would be very helpful to a beginner.

• 3 weeks later...

News is slow spanish is only okay if you're interested in learning Spanish from Spain. My husband listened to it for a while, but it was confusing for him since he is trying to learn Argentinian Spanish instead (I'm from Argentina). Also, they have a section with "popular sayings," most of which I hadn't heard in my life. Again, their Spanish is very regional.

Didn't they make the podcast paid, though? It used to be free to listen, and only the supporting activities were paid.