Linguaholic

Studying ESL

kristinaw

ESL or English as a Secondary Language here in the Philippines is not a course but rather an examination. We have TESL or Teaching English as a Secondary Language. These are requirements for non-native speakers of English like countries outside the US or UK.

I got my endorsement in ESL when I was getting my teaching degree.  I knew that it was a pretty good endorsement to have and it would go really well with the area I wanted to teach in and what I wanted to to with my career. 

I took a short course when I was younger because I was thinking of teaching the language.  I tsught english for a while after that.  I never thought I'd do it, but I might start doing it again!  This time it will be for a way better pay! I still need to see if my application is accepted, but hopely it will be :)  Finally that short ESL course will come in handy!  I know the basics about teaching :)

There are language centers and academies that teach ESL (English as a Second Language) for different non-native English speakers like Koreans, Chinese, Japanese, Taiwanese, etc. If you want to teach ESL, you have to take up English courses like TESOL and other short term English courses after which you are provided with a certificate. I am an Online English Instructor for Koreans and have been teaching since 2007. I am enjoying my morning job aside from my other profession where I am a Writer in English. Some companies require certifications while others do not.

I have my TOESL certificate but have never put it to use.

I never finished college so I don't have a degree, which is something that is required here. I also don't have a proper internet connection so I am unable to teach over things like Skype. I have designed a course that is fully functional via email but I have yet to work out the logistics of speaking. Since it's an important part of learning, I feel it's not beneficial to any students I may acquire if we cannot speak.