Linguaholic

Are you ashamed to speak a foreign language?

caparica007

I think it's a common case that people know a language not at it's best level and are ashamed to speak it, ashamed of what other people might think or your accent or grammar. Does this happen to you or do you know cases like this?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

All the time. I studied French for years, and while I'm certainly not fluent, I can get by without too much trouble. That being said, I won't even admit to most people I know any at all, and if ever faced with a native speaker, I usually freeze up and try English instead.

It's an issue of self-consciousness, in my opinion. I'm sure the people I've encountered in this scenario would appreciate the effort, even if it doesn't go all that well. However, I don't want to look bad, and I don't want to "butcher" their native tongue. Those two combined make it extremely hard to bring myself to use anything but English unless I'm with people I'm completely comfortable with.

I find that attempting to speak a foreign language 'will liven' things up and make the people more friendly because they can have some fun at your expense. That's why I always try to speak the local language [if I know a bit of it] because then you can be corrected and in the  process improve how you speak.

For me, well, it's fun to speak any language I am learning.

I agree with you Denis and I do the same, I don't care if I speak poorly as long as I am understood I even benefit from the opportunity to be corrected. Not everyone is like this though, my wife for example has some issues with speaking her English, she is not comfortable with it and I feel that doesn't help her develop her English skills.

I am never ashamed to speak a foreign language around natives of that tongue :smile:. For the better part, it brings life to the setting and in the end, I sometimes learn something new :cool:.

Well, I might feel a bit afraid of start talking in Dutch, but I'd never say I could feel ashamed of it.  I could feel nervous and anxious tho but no afraid.  The only scenario in which I'd think I could feel ashamed of speaking dutch is if I make a very shameful mistake while I speak it... like for example pronouncing a word in a way it sounds like a completely different one, like for example a rude word.  Only in that situation I'd feel kinda ashamed.

I am not in any way embarrassed to speak in my second language which is English for my 2 professions require me to use it as a medium. :) I have honed my skills in this foreign language over the years and though I may still have some flaws using it, I believe native speakers and non-native English speakers like me can understand what I am saying and writing. Errors in grammar is but natural for foreigners like me and nobody can really be perfect in a certain language in my humble opinion.

I used to be really shy about speaking French, and basically didn't say a word during my first visit to France as a teenager even though I was top of my French class in high school! I still read and write French much more easily than opening my mouth and speaking it.

As I grew older I found it easier to lose my need to be perfect, and in my twenties spent a fantastic couple of weeks in a Spanish village where nobody spoke any English. I had never learned Spanish formally, but I managed just fine with my phrasebook and grammar guide, along with my knowledge of French and Latin. And I've always been good with accents, which helps.

In general, the best way to really learn a language is to dive in at the deep end and surround yourself with people who don't speak your language, and with whom you have to communicate. Of course you can study at the same time, or beforehand. You won't get caught up in concerns about feeling self-conscious - you simply have to make yourself understood!

I'm really not, I realize that while I am learning, the chances of me speaking my new language in an overall awful manner is really something that I have learned to accept.  I was a child when I learned my primary language so I don't remember how hard it was to learn and how long it took me to speak it well. 

Well to a certain level yes, when you do not know much about the language and you know you'll be mistaking mistakes then one would be hesitant to speak it in public, but on the other hand only if you speak it, you'll get better at it after correcting the mistakes. Generally I'm a shy person, so yes I'll not speak it unless I know I'll be correct.

I kind of have an identity crisis because I'm Dutch but I can barely speak Dutch. It's what happens when you grow up everywhere BUT the Netherlands. In fact, the little Dutch I can speak comes out really funny because I pronounce things like a Spanish speaker. When I'm in the Netherlands, everyone assumes I'm a Turkish immigrant :) Since I'm SUPPOSED to speak Dutch, but I DON'T, it's sometimes difficult for me to speak up and try.