Linguaholic

What made you want to learn a new language.

Lacey

What made you want to learn a new language?  For me it all started because I had to take a foreign language in school and Spanish was the only one they offered at that time.  I loved it from the beginning and it was something I was good at.  It made me want to know more and more.  What made you want to learn?

I've been interested in Japanese culture for years and years - at least since I was 10 years old. Learning Japanese started out as a hobby without any real goals in mind, but in high school I made some Japanese friends and found that I loved connecting with another culture through its own language. After high school I studied in Japan for a few months, and not only did I find that I love living there, but I met a lovely Japanese woman (who doesn't speak English!). So even though I started basically just for fun, now I have a million reasons to keep pushing on.

With english it was more like an accident - I call it destiny.  I have mentioned this before, lol, but anyways here I go again: I learnt english on my own when I was 15 years old or so.  I didn't even mean to, but one day I just felt the drive to go check Yahoo chat and listen to the things they were saying there as well as seeing what people typed.

I guess my interest started when I tried to communicate with english speaking people on the internet and they tried to communicate back.  So I guess I had no real reason to start learning english; I just did.

As for Dutch... I don't really want to learn it; I have to learn it. 

I wanted to learn a new language, because I have always been fascinated by new languages. However it is mostly because of school and just having to back then. I have never forgotten my struggles during the time I was in school and how tough it was for me to learn a new language. Making me want to push myself that much harder to learn languages now.

I'm a very religious person and each time I read articles online that detail how the bible was deliberately mistranslated I was [or I am, since I'm just starting out] compelled to study Hebrew so I can read the scriptures in the original language they were written in.

Most of the New Testament was not written in Hebrew. Much of it was either Aramaic or Greek. Some of the Old Testament was also in Aramaic. Some parts of the old testament were derived from even older texts. I congratulate your intent, but if you truly wish to study the Bible in the original language you must study at least three languages. And be prepared to find that many words have questionable translations.