Linguaholic

To have a bath OR to take a bath / To have a shower OR to take a shower

I am always confused about the use of have/take when it comes to the nouns shower/bath.

Could someone please explain the correct use with those? Is it to have/take a shower and is it to have/take a bath?

:wacky:

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Both are grammatically correct but it's customary for Americans to use take a bath/take a shower while Brits and all users of Brit English prefer have a bath/have a shower. Usage therefore depends on the dialect of English you're using at a particular time.

I don't know what is grammatically correct but what sounds good in my ears is Take a bath and Take a shower. I never heard someone saying having a shower, but I have heard "having a bath". It doesn't matter really it makes sense both ways haha

It's pretty confusing to me, it's probably like Denis says, American or British ways of speaking. If I would say it though, I'd say take a bath or shower and not have a bath or shower, maybe is the influence of the American TV shows.

• 1 month later...

It's the exact same thing. You don't have to feel confused. Both of them are grammatically correct and both are acceptable. According to what I've noticed, Americans use "take" a bath and "take" a shower, while us Europeans prefer using "have" a bath and "have" a shower. I hope I helped a bit :)

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed reading all the comments, but it seems to me that they all are "correct" and are a matter of preference and regional use.  I would not be concerned with the usage since I think all the forms mentioned would convey the idea.

When you say "have", it implies the possession of something. So when you say " have a shower or bath", it sounds like you own a shower or bath. When you say "take", that is more of an action word. You are taking a bath or shower, rather than possessing it. On the other hand, take could also sound like you are stealing the bath or shower.... :confused:

It's mostly said to take a bath, or to take a shower. For example, can I take a shower? But you will also sometimes heard it said as to have a shower or to have a bath. For example, can I have a shower? It doesn't sound very good to me, but it is grammatically correct.

I don't know if it is completely proper, but the only way that I've ever heard anyone say it is "take a shower" or "take a bath." The only time that I've ever heard "have" in context with bathing would be "I have to shower/bathe."