Linguaholic

TOEIC

Hi,

My university is paying to have us take a TOEIC test.

Is this test representative of the skill and knowledge someone has with English?

I've read that it isn't really representative and that it is only valid for 2 years?

Hi,

My university is paying to have us take a TOEIC test.

Is this test representative of the skill and knowledge someone has with English?

I've read that it isn't really representative and that it is only valid for 2 years?

As far as I know, all standardized exams administered by ETS are good for only two years.

The TOEIC is not very representative of one's English skills. In fact, in Korea, there are many places where teachers have analyzed the exam and looked for strategies to boost a test-taker's score instead of the test-taker's English skills.

It is of my opinion that the pricier TOEFL exam is much more representative, as it covers all usages of the language: speaking, listening, reading, writing. You really have to do everything to show that you are good at the language.

ILETS is valid for 2 years also. Some Universities like in Malaysia request you to do another ILETS exam while you are studying after the 2 years expire. I never heard about exam called TOEIC but I will check it out on the internet and fill you in with what I get.

• 2 months later...

I don't know your English background and what university you're referring to but the TOEIC sadly isn't very representative of good english. The english required to score well on the TOEIC can easily be learned; basically one can learn how to game the test. It's sad that the TOEIC is still so popular though.

Interesting that it isn't a very difficult test, one would think that these types of exams would be more standardized.  It makes it more difficult for those who are being tested in their non native language when there isn't any consistency.