Linguaholic

Typing in Kanji and Kana on computer

As mentioned in the title, I am curious as to how you guys are able to type Kanji and Kana characters on computer? Do you have a Japanese keyboard or do you use some kind of software or program that has a wide range of characters that you can select by clicking on it using the cursor?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

I have a Windows computer that runs Windows 7 and there's a language bar pre-installed on all of Windows' computers. You just have to select the language you want and it will appear on the lower right of your task bar (not sure how it works for Windows 8 though since I heard they don't have a start bar).

The language features provided by Windows is sufficient and easy enough to use. You can type hiragana, katakana, and Kanji on the computer using it. (Kanji will automatically show if you press enter button after typing in the furigana). I find it more convenient than the Apple computers.

I see. Actually, the reason I asked is because I haven't tried typing in Japanese, though I do write the characters I have learned daily on a notebook.

The language features provided by Windows is sufficient and easy enough to use. You can type hiragana, katakana, and Kanji on the computer using it. (Kanji will automatically show if you press enter button after typing in the furigana). I find it more convenient than the Apple computers.

I have Windows 7 too and I see the language settings in the control panel where you can set the language/s of your keyboard, which you can select later on, as you said, on the right of the task bar. But how do you exactly type the words in Japanese? Like do you actually type the Romaji equivalent of the word "Boku wa" and it would be presented in Kana already? 

Yup. After changing the keyboard to Japanese (you can use CTRL + Shift as a shortcut to quickly switch keyboards), there will be an "A" on the language bar. Click that and you can then select hiragana or katakana. Then you just type it out like you normally type and it will automatically change to Japanese. So typing "boku wa" who result in "ぼくは".  If you hit the enter button after you finish typing, "ぼく" will also change to the Kanji "僕".

Cool! Man, I feel such a noob for not even knowing this after all these years I have been using Windows 7.  :shy:  But I guess it can be a blessing in disguise as I would have proably been lazy to learn how to write the characters by handwriting have I known how to type them from the beginning.  :grin:  Ok now let's give it a try.

ありがとうございます!

(Well guess what, it worked!)  :smile: