Linguaholic

Words that catch your attention in titles and make you feel like reading more.

wameyo

We all know that juicy/interesting titles always make us feel like grabbing that magazine/newspaper and get to know the whole story. But in these interesting titles there are usually specific words that do the magic. For example a title with the word "secret", always catches my attention. I'd like to know what words catch your attention most in headlines/titles.

Words that catch my attention in titles and make me feel like reading more are competition, dramatical and new. I just have to read to find out what it's all about.

If you're asking me about specific words that catch my attention, I can't think of any right now. I guess anything that sounds dramatic and urgent get my attention. Add in capital letters and exclamation mark will really get me to read the article.

The only word that would grab my attention these days is "funny." I've been so depressed over the past few months that all I seek these days is something that would bring some brightness into my life so quite naturally I'm always on the hunt for things that will bring a smile to me.

So I guess what grabs your attention would depend on the situation you are in. If for example you're looking for a job, the words that would grab your attention would be somewhat different from words that would attract the attention of someone who's, say, into conspiracy theories.

It is true that some words are so catchy alone such as secrecy...

I tend to find that when words work together they become more compelling. That is what I do to grab the attention of my potential audience when I plan a talk. Here is a generic catchy title that I have come up with and used before: PowerPoint to Empower your point.

Having a passion for information and learning new facts, I tend to be attracted to titles that will promise me something that's going to be useful in my life.  So titles like these will attract my attention with words such as

10 Tips....

Best Ways to...

Top 10....

Little Known Facts about...

The majority of books that I will read, are normally books with only one word as the title. These books make me want to read based on just one word and they all have been really good books.

To me it would be about anything that I am having interest in right now. For example I am interested in cryptocurrency like Bitcoin. If I walk near a book that talks about Bitcoin or something related to it I would just grab it and start reading it.

There are many words that instantaneously attract my attention, almost intensively:

- Accident

- Crash

- Emergency

- Warning

- Tornado

- Tragedy

- Fire

- Murder

- victory

- Cancer

- HIV

- Hero

- Horror

-Terror

- Explosion

Apart from all those words I also feel forced to read something if the name of one of the medications I'm taking is in the title.

Words that catch my attention vary with my mood on that particular day. If I'm not as upbeat, I will definitely avoid gloomy titles but then there are days when I might be interested with the same title just out of curiosity because my mood allows it.

I usually get drawn to the word "shocking" and "controversial" aside from the word "secret" when it comes to magazine and news titles. I tend to be interested in anything that's not conventional or when a circumstance or person is scandalous.

I think I have become desensitized to attention-grabbing headlines. I realized long ago that sensationalism is what sells, not stories. So, when I see the front page of magazines I don't feel curious in the slightest. However, I find I don't apply it to sports, as the stories are more glorified than fictionalized.

Very interesting topic! I rarely pick up or browse newspapers so I rarely notice this happening to me, but I have to admit it's probably happened for me once or twice while browsing magazines or at least browsing articles online. I'm on the same boat as LauraM on this one, I'm very much a sucker for lists so I'm always drawn to those types of titles too.

For me, titles that are inspiring, educational and motivational are what draws my attention. But then when I start reading and later find out that it deviates from what the title actually is I stop. And I think write up should always match the title.

Words that entice me to read a certain article, blog or story are mystery, science fiction, love, relationships, poetry, etc. Certain words do play a role in catching someone's attention that's why writers use a bunch of adjectives to describe things or those phrases and words that may attract their readers to stay glued to their works whether on the Internet or printed books or materials.

I have a bit of a confession to make with this one. When I see the word Epic it grabs my attention. I know, it's definitely overused. I can't help it though. I really like stories that feature epic scales. I can't really think of any others that really grab my attention. I'm too used to seeing most of the words they use.