Linguaholic

Technology For the Dumb

Lin

Yea...so I still see people getting miracles and all of a sudden speaking.It happens regularly in my region. I am wondering though, have you heard any news concerning any new advancements in technology to enable dumb persons to express themselves through their brains being connected to a computer machine? It sounds weird, but I know scientists have to think weird in order to invent. lol  :grin:

What is your region Lin?  :grin:

I've never heard nothing of what you describe, could you please provide more information? The concept "dumb" is also pretty vague...

• 2 weeks later...

I am also having a hard time to understand this question. I read it all over again and I just don't get it....I am happy to see that I am not the only one having problems to decipher that question/statement :=)

I think I have a general idea of what the question was but I think the best thing that the person who asked it would be for them to rewrite and rephrase it.  I think that they were referring to technology that will allow a mute person to speak although I'm simply guessing on that.

I believe I saw someone although not sure if it's real using an electronic device which enables the mute to convey their messages through a speaker which is a programmed computer and a programmed voice? Yes. I believe we have ways for the mute to speak but I think it is an expensive contraption and not really for the masses.

I think OP was asking if we've seen or heard of new technologies that can enable dumb (as in not able to talk) people to speak again. Years ago, I thought there was something that you put at the throat which enabled dumb people to speak. Perhaps, someday a device will be created that can read minds and transfer is to an audio device.

Unless there's a way to connect the brain to some machine like they do in Naked Space [the most disgusting movie I've ever watched] so that your thoughts can be recorded by the machine then displayed on a monitor or spoken [depending on your preferred or default output unit] such technology would be something to look forward to in the new millennium.

I think there are already ways for those unable to speak naturally to do so with technology.  The simplest being a keyboard with a voice synthesizer.  I guess the question may depend on what you mean by dumb or mute.  Some speak through devices already who have damaged or loss of vocal chords through the "trach" hole and the device they hold up there and it sounds like a vibrato in the words.

The only technology that I have seen of that nature is in the movies. In real life, there is only a gadget that can be controlled with the eyebrows and it looks like normal glasses used be people who cannot speak or move.