Linguaholic

4 Pictures 1 Word [ENGLISH]

Medza

4 Pictures 1 Word is an Android game where you are shown 4 pictures with a common theme and you have to guess the word that connects them. It really gets you thinking and sometimes it's not as straightforward as you think . As someone that is a native speaker, I still find certain levels difficult. This  app won't make you speak fluently, but it will definitely help you to expand your vocabulary. It's free to download from the Google Play store so give it a shot if you have an Android phone.

• 3 weeks later...

I've never actually heard about this one but thanks for the information, I could use something like this when I'm in transit waiting for my plane or at the bus station trying to catch a bus! Sounds like a good app to encourage us to keep our thinking caps on! :wink:

This sounds like a cool app! I just recently got myself a tablet with Android and I'ms till searching for good stuff to fill it - this one goes right in! I have a long trip coming in one week and this will help me spend the hours in the bus :grin:

Cool thread! I have recently seen someone posting this kind of thing on facebook and already then I was thinking that it was pretty cool.

I googled it today and I found this homepage here:

http://4pics1word-answers.com/

I guess this is what the fuzz is all about  :wacky: You can play the game online there as well. Some of them are rather difficult if you ask me  :frozen:

Although English is my native language, I played this for a while a few months back. I have to say, some of the questions are very difficult, even for a native like me!  :confused:

I downloaded this app a month ago, and it's a fun way to pass the time. Sometimes I show my friends and we take turns trying to guess the word.

I would only recommend this game to advanced English speakers because some of the pictures are really obscure. Even with English as my native language, as you said, some levels are pretty tricky. There is a hint system, but they are hard to get. 20-30 games for one hint, or spend real cash.

I think a lot of people are playing this game. it's a nice app.  been playing it for couple of weeks but i got stuck. This game will let you think. I encounter something about this game, that I think should not be included like a certain disease. The pictures shows the symptoms of the disease and that disease is not even common. I think it is better if they will just use common things. It is just my opinion.

There are many variations of the game available too, different developers have created their own versions. Using it to expand vocabulary is a brilliant idea!

Here's a hint, a general one: Sometimes the games "cheat" and use homonyms that are spelled the same but entire different words. Personally, I think this is cheating. But keep that in mind, and it might help. 

A few versions are also available on Facebook, too.  One is good, just like the ap. There's another that I don't like because the pictures don't always accurately reflect the word.

I never thought of 4 Pictures 1 Word as an app to learn. I used to play it all the time and gotten pretty far in the game.  Being a native English speaker can make you take many things for granted.  I'm going to download this game again and hopefully it will indeed help expand my vocabulary.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I can't wait to try the game.  I played something similar a while back and found it difficult.  Sometimes to a native speaker we foget the literal meaning and make some other association.  I think it would be fascinating to pit a native speaker against one learning the language.  I bet the winner would not always be the native speaker.

I don't have it on my phone but I do play it on my cousin's phone. It's fun because we would try to help each other guess. I don't know how it can help in learning English although I feel like it's a good gauge of how vast my vocabulary is if I'm trying to come up with a word that has associations with all the pictures.

• 5 weeks later...

I haven't heard about there is an application called 4 Pictures 1 Word. I usually learn vocabularies through dictionaries and books. I think it is such a neat idea to learn while you are playing this game. I can see there will be a lot of kids enjoy playing the application. Thank you for sharing with us!

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with these things is that they often depend on a set of logic that the creator(s) thought to be obvious and logical, but may not correspond to what most people, or indeed you would think in the same situation. I tried it myself, and a lot of times I just ended thinking "Wait, really?" instead of "Oh, why haven't I thought of that it's so obvious".

• 1 month later...

I agree that although I have not tried the app, it sounds interesting.  Overall I think many are fascinated by games of logic.  Testing oneself to find the common denominator sounds like a game that would be appealing.  Even as a native speaker, I can envision it could be challenging, and it seems those that have responded would find it interesting to play alone or with friends.

• 4 weeks later...

I downloaded this app a month ago, and it's a fun way to pass the time. Sometimes I show my friends and we take turns trying to guess the word.

I would only recommend this game to advanced English speakers because some of the pictures are really obscure. Even with English as my native language, as you said, some levels are pretty tricky. There is a hint system, but they are hard to get. 20-30 games for one hint, or spend real cash.

This is a great app. I saw my cousins played it on their phones and it is fascinating to watch. I recently got a Android tablet and this will keep me occupied mostly when I am travelling. The difficult questions will keep you thinking and giving your brain the exercise it need. The variation of the game will help us to expand our vocabulary brilliantly. 

It's an ok way to test your vocabulary and improve it. I don't find it that fun to play though, it might be to other people. I think that you might learn new words but it is not enough to become a good speaker of the language but it works well as an auxiliary exercise.

I think that Duolingo takes the cup as the most exciting App to learn new languages  :tongueout:

I too have played this game before but like most guessing games, the questions tend to recycle as the more you complete. I played a lot and started seeing repeats which got repetitive quick. The good thing is that, it did got me thinking about a lot of words that I otherwise wouldn't use.

A friend of mine had mentioned this app to me before but I forgot to look further into it. Now that you mention it I'm sure that it is the same app! Now I know the name, so thanks! I'm hearing that even for some native English speakers, it has some challenging levels. I'm looking forward to see how good I will be at this game!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

English speaker, here, and believe it or not, I managed to widen my vocabulary with 4 Pics-1 Word. It's an amazing game, I have to say, but it's also an effective learning tool. It tickled my brain a bit, made me think, and introduced new words to me which I would not have otherwise learned if I relied on my daily conversations with people. Besides, I don't think a lot of people, English-speakers, at least, use highfalutin words on a daily basis.

(And to be honest, I think we only use big words to impress hot guys. Hah!)