Linguaholic

Proverbs

Each language has its own proverbs. Don't you think it would be interesting to know different proverbs from around the world? Let me share some that I know.

In Japan, there is a famous saying that goes something like "the nail that sticks out gets hammered down", which means if you stand out, you will be put down. Basically it is similar to "crab mentality", which refers to pulling down someone who is excelling at something to become ordinary more like everybody else.

Another one is an old saying in the Philippines that says "weed/wild grass does not die easily" which means bad influential/powerful people are difficult to get rid of. It's like saying corrupt government officials who embezzle public funds tend to live longer for they can afford stem cell treatments or mafia/triad members can turn the tides of criminal case filed against them to their favor due to bribery.

Those are interesting! I would love to know some popular ones in Spanish.

My favourite one in English would be

Where there's a will, there's a way, meaning if you really want to do something you will find a way to do it.

I'll mention some of my favorite ones in Spanish that we often use here in Mexico:

''Más vale malo por conocido que bueno por conocer'' - It basically means you are better off sticking ot what you already know and are comfortable with, since trying something new can be tricky.

''Más vale pajaro en mano que cientos volando'' - It basically means you should protect what you already have instead of looking for greener lands.

We have so many of those proverbs, they're considered really old-fashioned by the young people here, but from time to time we use them.

We have that saying in Portuguese as well Trellum, well, a similar one:

''Más vale pajaro en mano que cientos volando'' - "Mais vale um pássaro na mão que dois a voar", the meaning is exactly what you say, better value what we have instead of looking for better things, we might end up losing what we have... ;)

My favorite has always been "You can't judge a book by its cover". I learned it early on in life and it's stuck with me ever since. First off, I consider myself very observant, so I learned early on that the things I observe and perceive are only temporary and eventually I might be proven wrong so it's best to hold off on judgement. Furthermore, I'm also often misjudged by other people's first impressions as well so I surely know how that feels like so I try not to do it to others as much as possible.

Each language has its own proverbs. Don't you think it would be interesting to know different proverbs from around the world? Let me share some that I know.

In Japan, there is a famous saying that goes something like "the nail that sticks out gets hammered down", which means if you stand out, you will be put down. Basically it is similar to "crab mentality", which refers to pulling down someone who is excelling at something to become ordinary more like everybody else.

Another one is an old saying in the Philippines that says "weed/wild grass does not die easily" which means bad influential/powerful people are difficult to get rid of. It's like saying corrupt government officials who embezzle public funds tend to live longer for they can afford stem cell treatments or mafia/triad members can turn the tides of criminal case filed against them to their favor due to bribery.

I totally agree with you on the Philippines, and the reason why they have that saying is because most if not all officials are corrupt and have stolen money from the people either in millions or trillions of pesos while the people are starving and going abroad for work.