Linguaholic

At what age did you start learning English?

Interesting answer there Bonyi, if English is the main language in your country I suppose you learn it still in the belly of you mother? Why since two, in my country kids learn Portuguese from age 5/6 onwards.

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

Well I started learning English at the age of 5 because it is part of our curriculum, but I was not really taking my studies in English seriously and only study what is needed to get a passing grade in the subject.  :laugh:  But during high school I realized the importance of knowing the language and began studying it attentively. I actually kinda regret not being serious with my studies in English early as now I feel that I am kinda left behind by a few years with my current knowledge of the language.

English is my first language so I learned it when I was starting to speak. I didn't talk immediately though when I was a kid my mom even thought I was deaf because I was silent. But eventually, I learned and spoke.

• 3 weeks later...

My mom started speaking to me in English when I was around 4-5. English is not my first language, it's my third. When I was around 6, my mother made me go to an English course in order to learn to speak, write and pronounce the language properly. I still have a lot to learn though. Same thing applies to every language. The learning path never ends.

I dont actually remember when I started learning the English language, that and Afrikaans are both languages that I just always known, I knew how to speak both before I even went to school to actually study them.

It was actually  from birth that I started to learn the English language. We speak Creole in Jamaica, but there are some parents that teach their children standard English. I had such a parent. My mom did a good job in teaching me. I also learnt from kindergarten and also from watching TV  :wink:

I dont actually remember when I started learning the English language, that and Afrikaans are both languages that I just always known, I knew how to speak both before I even went to school to actually study them.

Wow..commendable. It speaks volumes as to your mental ability and capacity; as well as volumes concerning the environment in which your parents or guardians grew you up.

• 2 months later...

I first started to study English when I was 6. I still remember that the first word that I learned was 'monkey' :). I was very glad because I always told my parents to take me to courses of English, so that I could learn this language. I continued studying it in primary school and in high-school and even at college. Actually, I study in English, in Romania. I chose to study in English because I thought that it would help me to improve my skills in this language, especially in grammar and vocabulary, but also at a communication level.

I started learning English when I was 8 years old along with another language because I was 2 years late to start my school life :D I only knew and spoke one language at that time so I found it very difficult learning two languages at the same time.

I didn't manage to understand even the basic of English until I finished my high school so I had to start all over again and took it seriously during my private tuition before I started college.

I started learning English at the age of 4. English isn't my mother language, it's the official language here (together with Filipino). Before 1st Year High School, I was not using the correct grammar and correct spelling in online chats, forums, etc. My English wasn't really broken, I just had lots of mistakes in typing in English. I started typing English properly during the 6th Grade and I was really trying my best to type properly.

Now, my English is better now but it's not really perfect yet. I still make some grammatical mistakes sometimes and I don't notice it.

I started learning English when I was three years old. I have to say, even though I've been speaking English for nearly all my life, I still sometimes make mistakes! Darn, if only I could have started right when I was born. :P

I started learning as soon as I moved to England. At that time I was around 3-4 years old (I actually don't remember it well!), although I did have some prior knowledge on "chatty" English, I didn't know most words and learned throughout my life in school.

I'm Filipino, so you'd expect my first language to be Tagalog, right? My mother is a writer, so the first language I learned was English. It proved to be a good parenting desicion on their part; I've gotten awards and praise for my communication skills both in and out of school/work :grin:

Thanks, Mom!

• 1 year later...

I learned English when I was still in my pre-school years.  I was already an avid reader at that time, reading books up to Grade 4 level.  I have been exposed to the English language more intensively.

Well, it's the second language where I'm from so I was pretty much exposed to the English language pretty early. But I didn't formally studied the language until I started schooling which was when I was about 6 or 7.

i think I have already talked about how I learnt English on here, but oh well, here I go again:  I learnt English when I was around 15 or 16,  I learnt English online by just spending enough time in Yahoo chats! After I gained some confidence forming sentences that made some sense I started corresponding with pen pals who spoke the language :)  I also chatted with English speaking people too online after a while.  I learnt a lot by making a ton of mistakes and being corrected.   

Back then it was so easy for me to learn English... now learning English is as hard as losing weight, lol, both of those things were so easy when I was younger :P   

• 1 month later...

In our home country, English is the only foreign language that the government has accepted in the school and collage curriculum. You will have to study English from preschool to Bachelor's degree, and it is compulsory subject.

I started school at the age of 3 and since then I began learning English.

Age 10 at elementary and secondary schools.
Age 12 online.
Age 15 on YouTube.

I don't know the exact ages any more, though.

• 4 months later...

I started learning English around the same time I was learning Spanish (my native tongue). Where I'm from, we learn English from a young age, and usually attend bilingual schools that teach most of their subjects in English, sometimes by native English-speaking teachers. I was learning to count in English, say colors in English, and so, by the time I was about two to three years old. I have learned English so well I sometimes consider it my native tongue, and sometimes, I even think in English! I have a real ease at communicating myself in English, mostly due to my education, but also because I love reading and watching television in English. In addition to knowing proper textbook English, learning conversational English is also essential. 

Officially, I started at 11 (5th grade). However, I didn't get serious up until 14. I'll be 22 next month. So, it's been almost 8 years of very hard work. I'm still doing my best to improve every area of my English. Also, I feel like a bilingual person as I'm working mostly in English. I love this language so much.

I actively started learning the language when I was 11, till then it was just a subject in school, which I would barely pass, but after that age I used different resources to actively learn it like:

• English tv programs
  • English news
  • English movies
  • English Youtube videos
  • English Newspapers

All these combined helped me a lot. At the start I would not understand anything but with passage of time, it became easier for me to understand the language due to so many resources which I had to learn English from.

I started learning English when I was eleven years old. When I was in lower primary, we used to be taught in English at school. We also used to sing different songs which made my learning easier. It was difficult at first but I managed to learn the language. I was also motivated by children who could speak fluently. I can remember how I used my dictionary to learn English - by writing compositions.