Linguaholic

What do you think about fast talkers?

True2marie

One of the funniest things a friend of mine said (she is an immigrant) is that she understood other foreigners who spoke English more than U.S. natives. Why? They speak slower.

With this in mind, what do you think about fast talkers? (See video below.)

To me, even if you both share the same tongue, it's hard to understand them.

http://youtu.be/0M3MTFlqrIo

I can understand people who speak fast in English. I am also aware that I speak fast.

However, I can understand why people who are learning a language prefer people who speak slower. Speaking too fast, is the sole reason I don't understand spoken Spanish. Spanish audio programs don't speak anywhere near as fast as native speaker's do.

Normally, if I know I am talking to someone who is learning English, I consciously slow down my speech. Here in Mexico, my Spanish friends speak a bit slower for me. However, I am looking forward to the day I understand hearing Spanish at it's normal speed. 

As for that video, that's insane. Thankfully, most fast speakers don't speak THAT fast.

Fast talkers that talk fast in their native language is quite a natural behavior, I also talk fast at times and I have been told to slow it down for them. But if it gets too fast and you really can't understand a single word, then it's quite annoying.

Oh that video!  The pitch as well as the speed made it grating.  I am used to a lot of fast talkers in the United States and it is often a regional thing.  I will say though that I also find Spanish speakers to keep up a quick space and to the novice it can be disconcerting.

I can understand that native speakers speak fast but I also find them irritating. Yes, they speak fast because they are used to it but they also have to consider that the person they're talking to may not be as good as them at listening. I believe the point of conversation is not to get everything out as fast as possible but is so that the other person understands what you're saying.

Holy wow, that video.

I know that I do usually speak pretty fast and can usually understand the people who do as well. I frequently have people ask me to repeat what I was saying as I'm in an international community where everyone has vastly different accents.

If I'm caught up in an idea and want to get my thoughts out, that is when I'm more likely to speak fast. However, with and around people whom I know might struggle with understanding me, I will consciously slow myself down.

It seems like there are some languages where the native speakers speak faster in general than other languages. For example, Spanish. I've taken a few years of Spanish, but if you ask me to hold a conversation with a native speaker they are generally going to talk way faster than I can understand them. English is a bit of a slower language by comparison.

It seems like there are some languages where the native speakers speak faster in general than other languages. For example, Spanish. I've taken a few years of Spanish, but if you ask me to hold a conversation with a native speaker they are generally going to talk way faster than I can understand them. English is a bit of a slower language by comparison.

I also have the impression that Spanish is generally a "fast spoken language". I often watch Football Games of the Primera Division and I can tell you that the moderators just speak soooo fast...it's incredible. Moreover, and more importantly, I also noticed this in every day life (I have been living on campus with quite a lot of Spanish people).

Yeah, Italian is really fast as well.

I'm a fast talker, both in English and Polish >.< Not all the time, but when I get too passionate about something or when I'm really stressed. It's a bit annoying because then people often go "Hahaha, you talk so fast" instead of caring about WHAT I'm saying. Oh well.

I don't like people who speak too slowly actually, I very much prefer fast speakers, because I'm not the most patient person when I'm waiting to get something explained. I like concise people tho, who can express their ideas in a few words... instead of giving a full speech that is not even to the point. That's what I prefer.

I've been told I'm a fast talker, specially in Spanish, because I feel I'm always in a rush or doing something! In English I'm a slightly slower speaker, just above the average in terms of talking speed ;)

Yes. Speaking English too fast is really hard for those who are new and are learning the language. A Korean here in the Philippines who is a Pastor told us in a meeting regarding sending missionaries in Asia that Filipinos are the best speakers of English. We were all grateful and a bit embarrassed since there were American Pastors who were listening. I think the reason people like Filipinos to teach English is mostly because of our Patience and Kindness to foreigners because it is mostly found in our culture. Being patient with a student is the key to letting him grasp the knowledge that you are portraying and handing over to him.

I don't trust people who talk fast because from experience I've learned that they tell a lot of lies. They yell a lot. Gossip a lot. So for me, it's a matter more of principle to distrust and avoid such people but if necessity demands it, I don't mind listening to them.

I think I am one of those fast talkers  :grin:  But in my English teaching profession, speed is our worst enemy as our trainor and quality assurance manager tells us teachers. Others can cope up with one who talks fast but there are also some who get confused and cannot fully understand what one is saying because of the fast pace. I can hear native English speakers speak fast with an accent which makes it more difficult for some to understand them but for me, I don't have a problem with that.

I don't trust people who talk fast because from experience I've learned that they tell a lot of lies. They yell a lot. Gossip a lot. So for me, it's a matter more of principle to distrust and avoid such people but if necessity demands it, I don't mind listening to them.

Well, I believe one's pace in talking whether he/she speaks slow like a turtle or fast like a bullet train doesn't necessary say much about one's personality or if the person is dishonest or what.  :wink: It's just their manner of speaking. Some talk moderately but they spit out bad words, some do talk fast but they are good people. So don't generalize things. :) Just a thought.

I agree it's hard to understand anyone who talks too fast, even if that person is speaking my native language. Believe me, I've had my fair share of such experiences while working in customer service.

At the same time, I don't think such people really meant to be rude. It has probably become a habit for them over the years.

I am a fast talker myself and sometimes you just really don't notice it.  I think it really depends on how fast the thought comes into your head.  I would normally look at fast talkers as very outgoing people, mainly because they sound livelier when they speak fast.  They are not boring.  Also, when someone is talking fast, I feel that I pay more attention by initiative. 

It's amazing hearing people speak in their native languages. I thought Spanish would be very hard to learn because it sounded like everyone was going fast at first. When I started learning it, I found it to be fairly rhythmic; the enunciation has fairly simple rules and all the letters are pronounced phonetically. Within a short time it started making more and more sense.

As far as English goes, I don't think I'm a fast talker relative to other native speakers. I couldn't imagine how hard it is to learn for non-native speakers. There is so much slang and lack of absolute rules, and idioms/metaphors add another degree of difficulty. Living in Vancouver, there are a lot of people who learn English as their second language, and sometimes I do have to slow myself down or repeat myself to communicate with them.

Most fast talkers do not realize that they are going so fast; because they may be speaking in their native language. If you listen to a foreign language you might sometimes feel that the speaker is going too fast.

I prefer slower paced speaking when it comes to talking to people, but I don't mind listening to fast talkers as well and I can still keep up whether it's in English or my native language. I might have a bit more of a problem understanding if their accent is one I'm not familiar with, but otherwise I think I can keep up just fine.

I speak really quickly myself. I don't do it on purpose; it's just a habit.

I understand the problem with it, though. I can understand Spanish when it's spoken slowly, but I get confused when people talk really fast!

Fast talking is no issue to me except when as you mentioned it's a language I am not totally fluent in. In this case I don't know what's worse, fast talking or doing it with a difficult accent.

There are times were I can understand people who are talking fast, but the woman in the video talking really fast, I can't understand even a single word she said. LOL. I don't know if I will be amazed or will get annoy if someone will talk to me that way.  :tongueout: