Linguaholic

Hardcover dictionaries/encyclopedias

When I was learning the english language (any language for that matter) paging through large encyclopedias and dictionaries are part of what made it fun. It made learning the language seem challenging, it was massive collection of words and knowledge packed into hundrads of pages. Now, I think todays youth are exposed to language in a different way. Spellcheck on computers, online resources, they won't go through the same struggles the older generation did. Will this make them less or more motivated to learn the language?

I reckon it will make them more motivated. Why? Simple! It's easier now to learn languages, you have dictionaries on your phone, so there is no need to hold and carry HUGE books in your bag or your hand. Furthermore, the spell check, whether they know it or not, will help them learn how to spell words because when they are looking to correct an underlined word which is spelt incorrectly, the brain will register the correctly spelt word. Now, this doesn't mean they will learn the spelling for the word they spelt straight away as everyone is different, but you automatically think, "wait, I spelt that wrong, how do you spell it". When they see it on spell check they will most likely remember for next time.

In regards to learning, there are CDs which really do help people learn languages and it's much easier than reading through a huge, endless book!

-Tim

Interesting question

I think that studying languages is easier nowadays, as with the aid of the Internet, you have unlimited possibilities to study ANY language. However, with the raise of the internet and all the gadgets like smart phones, ipads etc, you are also more likely to get DISTRACTED :=) this is a huge problem for some and I am also struggling with this sometimes..as many others do as well I guess.

Hardcover dictionaries and encyclopedias are still a very solid resource for studying and I still use them, as I am sure that they provide me (at least most of the time) with quality information and content. On the internet you can find great resources but you also have tons of garbage and sometimes it is not easy to find out whether a source is providing you with accurate infos or not!! ::) ::)

The big advantage that books like dictionaries and published encyclopedias hold is that they have been through a checking and verifying process before they are published. You can guarantee that 99.9% of content is factually correct. As mentioned above, though the internet is a great free resource, who is actually checking the accuracy?

• 2 weeks later...

I feel a bit nostalgic for my gigantic hard cover dictionaries, but putting sentiments aside, I wish I had all these wonderful modern resources when I studied the language! Of course it's motivating, and so much fun! One can watch any movie with or without subtitles, and all the best audio courses are at one's fingertips! I remember I had to record the audiocourse on my friends' old tape recorder, and then to listen to these terrible recordings, trying to ignore the noise and make out the words. And of course, there are electronic versions of most of the dictionaries and text books, so even if it's fun to turn the pages of your favorite volume, you can rest assured that all the sources are available to you and you don't have to pay a fortune for all the books you need.

When I was learning the english language (any language for that matter) paging through large encyclopedias and dictionaries are part of what made it fun. It made learning the language seem challenging, it was massive collection of words and knowledge packed into hundrads of pages. Now, I think todays youth are exposed to language in a different way. Spellcheck on computers, online resources, they won't go through the same struggles the older generation did. Will this make them less or more motivated to learn the language?

I don't think it has anything to do with motivation. I think the question is whether it helps language learning better or not. I may be old-school here but I think you learn more if you have to go through a real dictionary yourself. I found that my vocabulary startedimproving significantly when I started using monolingual dictionaries.

Personally I think that book dictionaries are a thing of the past. I can download a dictionary for every language in the world and fit it all on one CD, or upload it to my phone. Digital dictionaries are just straight to the point and so much convenient to carry with you. Don't get me wrong, I have a great big collection of dictionaries, but I just found myself using them less and less often. When my parents ask me 'what does this word mean?', I don't take out a dictionary, it's easier to just look it up online.

• 2 weeks later...

Technology is playing a large role in the shift from hardbound dictionary and research tools. Students are using technology in many ways to improve their word search abilities and this is providing them with twice as many options for learning new vocabulary words. Also with all the language programs that are now available via the internet learners will have an opportunity to help practice with live teachers and classmates thus improving their language skills ten times faster.

Happy Learning!

Tomeka

I think learning to speak a new language colloquially is a lot easier now. Where you have a lot of people who moved to a foreign country as a child 50 years ago and learned to speak, say English, from watching 'I Love Lucy' and hearing the people around them talk, now you have people who can expose themselves to casual conversation and resources like that almost instantaneously. Conversely though, because people spend so much time communicating in these new ways we lose the 'edit before publishing' quality of books, encyclopedias, and dictionaries. The value of learning english from edited sources is in the fact that the quirky (and sometimes just incorrect) mannerisms of everyday speech are filtered out. Whether or not it's better to be comfortable with formal or informal speech though, is up for debate.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say I don't miss the heavy dictionaries. I don't recall the experience as any fun to me, and I kept slicing my fingers in the pages - honeslty, that Bulgarian to French dictionary had something against me!The last time I actively used one was in my second year of high school, after that I used mostly electronic dictionaries, especially for Fench and English. I love how quickly I can check for the meaning of certain word. It is a real bless when I'm reading an e-book. One click and it's done!

I had some really good hardcover dictionaries over the years; Spanish-English, German-English as well as some unabridged English language dictionaries.  I kept them on my bookshelves and they were great references.  I eventually let all of them go.  I rely on smaller paperback dictionaries to some degree, but mostly I depend on online dictionaries these days.  It's very easy to get hooked on the sheer convenience of them. 

I must say I do miss the dictionaries, even though they were cumbersome and heavy.  (I still like physical books in general.)  In particular, I miss the detailed footnotes and even the illustrations.  As others have said, there is a greater assurance that the material has been thoroughly vetted.