Linguaholic

Why Do Some Students Fail Creative Writing?

hotnicey

Creative writing is difficult for some and like a play to others who possess it naturally. It is a form of art but requires a great deal of practise to master. I believe it is not different than other skills like learning to play an instrument or learning to draw. Some just do it naturally while others need to practise hard enough to be able to do it.

I'm not sure what and how you teach. So, I can't advise you on a method. But I can say that creative writing is an art form. It requires imagination and mental creativity.

In the old days, before tv, computers and video games, kids used to be entertained with stories. Sometimes, they would watch their parents create a story right there and then. And sometimes, they too were encouraged to create stories to entertain their family and friends. Now, it's totally different and that has affected a lot of kids creative power. Also, not every one is artistic in that way.

A part of the problem could be the theme. I still remember the one I didn't like - ''Being is more important than having''. I had just enrolled high school and I didn't feel like writing a philosophical debate - and to me, it definitely sounded like one. My writing turned out to be half an essay and half a story, and the only reason I'd not failed was my determination to write something, even though I did not like the theme. Some students may feel more than discouraged, though, if they have only one theme to ''choose'' from, especially if it's a little abstract.

• 10 months later...

Probably because they don't have passion for it. If you don't have any interest in one subject, you would possibly just fail in it. I think the best thing to do is to spark their interest in literature and creative wring. Give them books to read. Let them write whatever topic they want to discuss about. Widen their imagination by giving them different scenarios. Boost their creativity.

I agree with those who say it's all about having the creativity and a good imagination, being able to tell a story. Many people with a very good command of the English langue can't write creatively. Quite simply put, creative writing is a skill that sadly we aren't all blessed with. I'm an ok writer, but don't feel I could successfully write creatively :(

• 2 weeks later...

Creative writing is a test not only of your language proficiency but also your creative skills. Having an ability to create is honed with continuous practice. Students must be allowed to let their imaginations soar for them to be able to become creative.

Students these days are made to focus on sciences so much that the creative window in their minds is closed permanently by the time they grow up into teenagers. School teachers must let the students hone their imaginations for them to keep the creative fire burning inside of them.

I guess it's because not everyone is creative. And another thing that came to mind is because of the entertainment the kids consume these days doesn't really allow for much imagination to happen. Everything is handed out to them, or they're all in their phones looking at blurbs of someone else's life. 

What you can do is have a simple activity that involves everyone and gets them to think creatively. If you encourage them as a group to sit down and think, then maybe you can tap into the passive creativity hiding out there. An activity I'm thinking is something like complete the sentence, or something similar. Sorry, what a terrible example haha but you get what I mean.