Linguaholic

Is it hard to remember the alphabet in your second language?

ilikemoney420

My 1st language is Tagalog and my 2nd language is English, so I really had no effort in trying to learn a new alphabet. But I'm sure if the language was Mandarin, Russian or Arabic then I would struggle in memorizing how each letter looks like.

There were a few letters that would get me every time in the French language, but with enough practice I was able to finally get my head around it. As for the English and Spanish alphabet though, I haven't had any trouble with those two. I think the key is really just repetition.

Some languages use the same alphabet/script. The languages I know use the same alphabet so it definitely presents absolutely no problem [as far as remembering the alphabet is concerned]  although the pronunciation of the vowels and consonants IS [or may, in most cases be] different.

Our Filipino Alphabet and the English Alphabet is actually very similar except (enye) ~N and (enji) Ng, which are additional alphabets in the Filipino Alphabet. Since A-Z is also inculcated, it's very easy to remember.

Aside from forgetting majority of it having not used it for a while, I don't really recall having much difficulty in learning it. By this I mean the Chinese alphabet. I think it's relatively easy to learn and memorize, and the best thing about it is that once you know it then you can pretty much learn any Chinese word you want by yourself given that the book you have has alphabets beside the words.

It is ridiculously hard to learn the written language of Japanese. Not only do you have to learn 2 different 'alphabets', but there is a third one that is extremely complicated with thousands of different characters. It's a very long process to learn enough so that you can read and be considered literate.

What are you referring to when talking about the "Chinese alphabet", Baburra? Are you talking about the Kangxi Radicals? If you don't, I really do not understand your meaning here *.*

I have no trouble remembering the alphabet of my second language. It is funny how there is really no alphabet for my native language so I am perfect at remembering the English alphabet since I was taught that at an early age and still use it everyday.

Well English is my second language, and I had no problems remembering the alphabet. The reason for that is because I've started learning it in like 2nd grade or so, and the Alphabet song haha. I sing that song even today, 10 years or so after I've learned it.

I didn't find learning the Spanish alphabet hard at all as, it's very similar to English. It has probably been the easiest thing for me to remember. I think it helps that I often have to spell out my last name as it's not one Spanish people understand. Half the time, native English speakers need it spelled out to so, for Spanish speakers it's especially hard.