Linguaholic

How difficult is it to learn a different dialect?

g2narat

This question is for those who have experience with countries who have different dialects. I ask this because I'm from the Philippines and speak Tagalog but just recently moved to Mindanao where they have a different dialect. They speak Visayan/Cebuano here, and to me it still feels like learning a whole new language, even though a lot of words are the same. What do you think?

I agree and I've always felt the same. I guess the only advantage you'd have from being in the same family language-wise would be that you could imitate or adopt the tone and accent a little easier than someone coming from a totally foreign language, but other than that, yes, it's pretty much like learning a whole new language. For example, Cantonese is just a dialect of the Chinese language, if I'm not mistaken, and it's totally different from Mandarin.

I think it depends on the circumstances. In my case, my grandparents spoke Trevisan, an Italian dialect. Since I spent every day with them from the time I was born to the time I was six years old, I learned Trevisan pretty organically.

The problem, of course, was when I started to study the universal Italian (ie. the Italian Italy uses in schools and government offices). The grammar rules are pretty consistent across dialects (at least Italian dialects), but pronunciation, vocabulary and idioms vary widely, so that's where I'd get tripped up.

To this day, my Italian is mash-up of the standard language and Trevisan. Personally, I think the Trevisan is prettier, and my relatives get quite excited when I use it. =)

Yes. I'm also from the Philippines and since we have a lot of dialects for our diverse languages and culture. You have to try to understand what they're saying, basically ask them the meaning of their words since we have the same words but with different meanings. Try using ordinary Tagalog if they would understand you.

In some languages, dialectical differences are only noticeable in the different pronunciation of words, the tempo the language is spoken [at] and probably a number of variations in the spellings. However, within the same language group, there could exist other dialects which may be quite difficult to learn.

In the U.S for example, there's standard English and AAVE. Someone who hasn't been exposed to black vernacular [for a long time] will have difficulty in understanding it. Speakers who use AAVE predominantly experience the same problem when they have to talk to those who speak standard American English and actually find learning it to be as difficult as learning a foreign language [when they learn it in school].

So I guess sometimes learning a dialect [of some language] can be like learning a new language.

Wow, the replies here are very reassuring. I thought I was being a bit dim for having a difficult time with just a different dialect.  :sad: Another thing I've noted that was already mentioned in one of the replies is how some words may be similar but may have very different meanings. So what happens is you think you're already starting to understand the conversation then suddenly a word gets thrown in that you thought you understood. Turns out that word has a whole different meaning.  :confused:

Learning a language is really not so much of a big deal, but getting the dialect is really hard. It is something that you have to be immersed in. I think that once you do get into the dialect then you are actually in a great position and you have garnered some perspective in the new culture.

I don't think learning a different dialect should be difficult if both dialects are spoken within the same country. In Jamaica, everyone speak Jamaican creole but each parish dialect is a little different. I think it would be quite easy for me to learn another dialect here but it may differ in other places.

You see in life, what you say is what you get. If you say it is difficult so it will be but if you say that it is easy then it will be so.

For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith. (Mark 11:23 KJV)