Linguaholic

How do you find a fun way to learn a language?

Denis Hard

It's easier to learn something if you have fun doing it. For example, a kid learning to swim with friends will enjoy the activity and learn it faster than another kid who is obligated to learn because they have to learn it [for safety] or because they're being forced to by their parents.

Are there 'fun' ways to learn a language, like say playing a word game for those learning English?

Study With Us on Discord for FREE!

There easier and funnier ways than just to read a textbook or attend a class. We can join a language club or call a friend that speaks the language and practice that way. Have a class walking around in the garden, the hour will fly by. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Having fun learning a language does make it easier to learn the language. Putting words on colorful flashcards or making pictures of things is a good way too. Watching TV programs that are funny in the language you are learning or cartoons should be interesting to learn from too.

• 2 weeks later...

I like to use the Duolingo app for a fun way to learn a language. I like how it is set out a bit like a game and if you get things wrong you lose hearts. It is good how you can now earn lingots (like points) and buy things with them to help you along with learning your new language like an extra heart or a special lesson like the Christmas one at that time.

I also think it is fun to watch programmes in different languages or with subtitles up but I find it difficult finding a DVD in my DVD collection which has language and subtitles in French which is my preferred language to learn. Typically, all the programmes I have watched so many times I nearly know word for word in English don't have an option in French.

I haven't done this before, but maybe you can play charades or "act it out" to learn a language!

The person must either guess the translations of words or phrases. Though charades is a common game, it's one to love by everyone.

Good luck playing!

Yes. Word games are a really fun way to learn a language. Board games such as Scrabble and word games such as Word Factory and Boogle are a great way to learn the English language more quickly and with added fun and excitement.

When I was teaching kiddies how not to speak Engrish, I found that one easy way to get them to open their mouths and start saying things in English is to teach them to sing songs in English. It's a lot of fun for them and when they hear their own voices saying English words, it gives them the confidence to learn more.

I really try an make a game of it as much as I can, keep it interesting and full of variety in terms of my learning options.  I love to hang signs around the house with the name of the objects in the language that I am learning.  I leave the cat alone though, she really wasn't into having a sign hanging around her neck.

Another fun way to learn a language is to read comics in that language. If comics are hard to come by, you can always search for cartoon video clips in that language on Youtube. I learned a lot of my English from reading comics like Beano and Dandy. I wonder if those comics are still in circulation.

I don't have any particular way that can make learning a fun. I guess when I really like the language, there is plenty of fun to be had while learning. I find some children's learning programs to be quite fun to watch. It's a great way to learn a language in a light hearted way.

I learned a lot of my English & Chinese grammar and sentence structure by reading a lot of comics as a kid, so I would recommend that especially for younger people. Granted, at the time I had a lot more interest in the comics themselves rather than learning a language, and learning just became a bit of a byproduct, but still, it's a great way to sneak in some lessons within a fun activity.

I actually think subtitling is a fun way to learn a language. Translating a language while watching shows you love really helps to sharpen one's language skills.

I agree. I love watching movies and tv shows and what better way to learn a language by doing something that you already like. I watched a lot of Spanish movies and it was really fun.

hi!

We are mixed family. I'm British, my husband is French. We live in UK so we had problem with our child. How to teach small child French not only by talking? My husband has found perfect way! I also wanted to learn French so with my child we both started listening to French music. We are dancing around the house and singing lyrics, which we know. I see that each time we can remember more words. After all we sit together with my husband and child and look at lyrics on Internet.

I think this is perfect way to learn in funny way! Look for good website with lyrics and try my idea! I know many websites like this now. I can give you one,which I think is pretty good. You can find there not only French lyrics. We never found mistakes on it. It's: www.lyriczz.com

Learning with lyrics is a great way to pick up some words, but it doesn't teach us a language. My GF loves to be in the car listening to a CD and reading the lyrics (while I am driving of course) and she does pick up some words.

Yes you're right but vocabulary is also really important part in learning foreign languages. i think learning through music is better way than learning from book or notebook. that's just my advise:)