Linguaholic

Learning languages in groups takes longer?

Denis Hard

Let's take the example of a class with 10 students. They all have different abilities. Some can learn fast while others learn the same things slower. So if you're taking a language course in some institution it means that the pace of learning would be determined by the slowest learner right?

If that is a fact, should people opt to learn languages solo?

I think it's a fact that learning languages in group takes longer, but here enters the economic factor, it's not possible to teach people individually, there aren't enough teachers and people can't afford it. At a certain stage of learning a language the group is actually helpful in what concerns practicing.

I am not sure I agree with the premise.  If you follow that idea, then any classroom experience would curb learning.  Having previously taught for many years, I find that the interaction and questions usually benefit all the students.  The dynamics of group learning also adds to progress since some students may not be the type to voice and opinion or ask a question, but all students can benefit from the discussion which follows.

I don't really know. It always depends on the people's capacity to learn and the ability to cope with understanding and speaking languages foreign to them. Others could be really advanced and be able to adopt the language well while others would not comprehend and need more time to learn the language given to them.

Every person has their pros and cons. One student might be bad at pronunciation but good at grammar while another might be the opposite so they can help improve each other. I think group learning is actually more beneficial because we can help each other like yin and yang. Each person's advantages will compliment each other.

This depends on the individual I believe. Some people can learn fast with groups involved because they can interact with each other. Others choose it 1 on 1. I do love a group session though.

I guess it really depends on the learning style of the individual. I would say that for me it makes more sense to learn a language on my own. I like to learn things in my own time, so having to be dependent on other people for that doesn't work. In general I would say working on it individually makes more sense.

I cannot agree to the statement that learning solo would be faster. Everyone learn by different methods and at different speed. I personally learn faster when I am in a group. when I am in a group I am able to interact and ask questions for clarity, getting immediately response. Even when I study, I prefer to study in group, I seem to retain more.

I think it's going to take longer for my type if I learn a new language in a class room type setting with other students. I think it's best if the teacher is just focused on me. Otherwise I will be confused and it's going to be hard for me to absorb everything.

I don't think so. When I was learning Chinese and English when I was younger, I was in a class of 40+ students and we all managed just fine. It might be true if the people in the class were at different levels of abilities though, since the more advanced people might find it boring to have to go through all the basic lessons again.

Learning in group settings like classrooms means the pace is dictated by the teacher, not the slowest learner. In this case, some people who don't learn as fast or study as hard will be left with gaps in their knowledge, which is unfortunate. However, the alternative is 1 on 1 learning, which while more effective is more restricting financially.