Linguaholic

Japanese Particles

BWL

I found this list of all the particles (including some rarely-used ones) in the Japanese language. It includes grammatical particles like "wa', "wo", "ni", "de", "no" etc. in addition to sentence-final particles like "yo', "zo" and "ze". You can even click on some of the common particles like は (wa) for links to pages that give  sample sentences with the correct usage (not all of the particles have links yet, though).

http://nihongoichiban.com/home/japanese-grammar-particles/

• 1 month later...

Sorry for bumping this topic back up, but does anyone have a site that can help me learn particles properly? I misuse them a lot and I get them wrong almost everytime on my tests. Any help would be appreciated  :smile:

This site explains the different joshi (particles) quite clearly. I'll find some other sites with better examples. Give the link below a try and see if it helps.

http://japanese.about.com/blparticles.htm

Thanks for the link, I'll have a look at it :D

I guess what I'm most confused about is when to use the correct particle to get the correct meaning. Because in Japanese, changing the particle can change the meaning of the whole sentence.

For example:

a) 私は広島アパートを見つけました。 I found an apartment that is in Hiroshima.

B) 私は広島アパートを見つけました。 I found an apartment when I was in Hiroshima. (meaning this apartment could be in Hiroshima or some other place.)

c) 私は広島アパートを見つけました。 I found an apartment that is in Hiroshima.

I always thought "で" meant "at/in" like 図書館で勉強します (I study at/in the library) so I immediately thought (B) meant "I found an apartment located in Hiroshima". And since ”に” refers to a movement like ”うちに帰ります” (I'm going home), I thought (a) meant "I went to Hiroshima and found an apartment ". But of course, I was wrong.

I'll have a look at the site you provided first. Hopefully I'll have a better understanding after reading it.

• 4 weeks later...

@Miya

Don't worry. You're not the only one having trouble when it comes to particles.

I have a friend who learns Japanese through a native Japanese speaker and I would often ask him regarding particles but then I would still not understand them clearly. Haha. That's how slow I am when it comes to learning.

I remember when I was still a beginner (Hell, I'm still a beginner now), I would always say, watashi wa when I should have said watashi no. lol

So I guess, we really need more exposure to the language in order for us to learn it effectively. :)

Yeah, particles and keigo are the only two things in Japanese I really have a lot of trouble with ;_;

Which is unfortunate because both of those are pretty important.

• 1 month later...

The basic ones that you will encounter all the time are:

wa (topic) , ga (nominative / subject) , o (accusative / object), ni (dative), de (locative) and e (directional). Most beginners tend to confuse wa with ga.

Think of particles as markers that explain the function of every word or phrase in a sentence and their syntactic roles. In a sentence, someone has to act on something and then there might be movement or even a location; all these are explained by particles in Japanese.